1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nemesis blown tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkenraja, Apr 12, 2006.

1. okay. catastrophe....looks like ive blown the tweeter in my nemesis 4x10 combo amp....not quite sure how though. ive been using pretty much flat eq settings, and recntly at failry loud volumes because of our rehearsing.....and when i play anything and put my ear up to the tweeter and pop a string/use distortion theres no sound emitting from it....any ideas what exactly has gone wrong? recently my amps been "feeding back" alot too if there is too much treble or gain.....i turned them down to fix it and doesnt appear to do anything. so now im left with an amp that just sounds plain muddy :(:(

what should I do!?

2. I'm not familiar with that cabinet specifically, but many have different methods of protecting the actual tweeter. These methods include fuses, automotive light bulbs, self-resetting breakers. I'd assume you don't have the latter, but either of the former might have blown instead of your tweeter.

If you're comfortable with it, take the back panel off the cabinet (hopefully it has one... it may not if it's a combo) and check out the high pass filter board for fuses.

If you're not comfortable with it, take it to your local trusted music shop and ask them to have a look.

3. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hey:

I have a NC210P, same thing happened to me.
    Easy. Take grill off, remove tweeter. At back of
    tweeter is the crossover network, complete with
    a light bulb (model 578, 12V). Check to see if
    it's blown (you can get them at Auto Stores like
    Checker etc). If so, replace, and you are up and running.

If not, put a 1.5V battery (AA) into the tweeter circuit
    to see if you get any sound (just two wires, you can
    use alligator clips connected to wires. No noise,
    blown tweeter.

Good luck!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ