Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neuros v. IRiver HP120

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Does anybody use these ingenious looking little hard drive devices for recording and have any input on them?

If you haven't heard of them try Googling....

Basically looking for an alternative to Hi-MD for recording my jazz gigs.

Will

2. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hi Will,

just came across your question. Here is what I posted in an earlier thread on equipment for recording:

"I used to record with Sony MD, now I use the iRiver iFP 590 MP3 recorder/player. Advantages:

- output is mp3 format (I do some equalizing afterwards with Nero wave editor)
    - recording volume level can be adjusted at all times
    - you can choose bitrate: with 320 kbps about 1h45m, lower bitrates much longer (still sounds good)
    - no hassle with headphone output, just plug in USB cable and transfer file to computer hard disk ==> no loss of quality! (this always bothered me with MD)
    - you can make separate directories on MP3 player (I play in different bands and also put original versions of songs on it that we can listen to on the PA if we need to during rehearsal), this keeps everything organized
    - very easy navigation through menus, you can find files very quickly
    - size of a matchbox and very sturdy
    - very long (internal rechargeable) battery life, about 25 hours!
    - if you want to take it along on a leisure trip you can put about 16 hours of music on it in very reasonable quality
    - repeat A->B function for listening to a certain fragment repeatedly (also handy when studying difficult bass parts)

and I could go on and on, I love this little monster. I use a dirt cheap "clip-on" microphone (no battery) and even then it sounds great, bass and drums sound really good. Usually I have to cut the low frequencies afterwards, and mic is nearest to the keyboard player when recording."

Last Saturday I recorded a live performance of my band in a small venue. I first recorded our sound check, listened back to determine the best recording level, and then let it run during the gig. At 128 kbps the quality is still very good.

If you decide to start using a mp3 recorder please share your experiences on this forum.

Grtz, steven

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I was under the impression that you couldn't change recording level on the fly without some outboard preamping. Has IRiver changed the firmware in this regard? This has really be the main issue keeping me away from an IRiver.

Will

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Has iRiver fixed the bug on their HP hard drive recorders where it drops samples every few milliseconds? It might be inaudible but I know it has serious recordists quite flummoxed.

The iFP 590 looks cool, but it's not even sold in the USA :meh:

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Doh. So does anybody have any experience with the Neuros unit? It sounds like maybe the tech for live mini-hard drive recording just isn't here yet.

All my brilliant performances, uncaptured :rolleyes:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    You can change the recording level at any time by adjusting the "line in recording level". It can go to 50 but I usually set it to 35 to avoid distortion. No need for a "battery microphone" and hassle of checking battery levels, I am very pleased with "ease of use" and quality.

Steven

8. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I have a iRiver HP-120 which I use with a Sony ECM-DS70P microphone to make quick recordings with at rehearsals. The audio quality is pretty good but occasionally there will be glitches in the recorded audio which I find pretty annoying.

Also don't plan on using the internal microphone for anything other than voice recordings since it really picks up the noise from the internal hard disk.

9. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I use pretty much the same setup HP-120, Sony omni directional mic( i forget model #)

It rocks , if just for the fact you can record directly to mp3's. It's an excellent "Record your jams" or dirty recording tool.
    20 gigs mean tons of recording space. Hell i got 30+ jams ranging from 10 - 30 mins each from the year with my last band just sittin on there.

My main complaint is the mic input volume can be set from 1-20, it distorts if the input is too high and your playing too loud. I wish there was a meter so you can see how the input levels are but usually i just leave it at 9 so it's a little quiet sometimes.

10. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Do you get occasional audio hiccups in your recordings too?

11. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Very Rarely, i get a pop sound like when turning on an amp. It is a bit annoying but not that big a deal since it's just a "dirty recording" tool.

I usually record 128 bit to get a good balance of sound/size...anyone tried recording at 192 bit + ?

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

let me know how it preforms, I'm looking to get that in the near future myself. (as I said a few posts up ;) )

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I just got the Neuros 80GB coming from an iRiver. I haven't recorded with the Neuros yet, but I'll post when I do. The thing I like about the Neuros is an open-source firmware. When there are bugs, they get fixed. iRiver OTOH is the exact opposite. They've been working on the firmware for the HP series forever. They did release an update (v1.6), but it fell way short of what the users needed.

Granted, I've come across some idiosynchrasies with the Neuros, but nothing that's show-stopping. BTW - they just lowered pricing on the 80GB to $399 at http://www.americantechpushers.com/80gbhd.html

15. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Wow that Neuros does sound good, Though i cant spend another $3-400 on a HD recorder i-river does what i need it to do.

This time last year the Iriver was the best i found, Neuros may have surpassed I-River.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys,

Was close to the Neuros, until I saw this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ED-R-1

Looks like Roland is putting it out this month, $550 list. I don't need another IPod and don't need to record for LONG periods of time so this looks like the answer fo shizzel!

Will

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a Neuros and I am going to practice tonight to test it out. I already know that I am going to need a preamp and a decent mic to get anything worthwhile but this is just for refrence in future practices.

I hear if you use the hard-drive and the built in mic you will get some noise from the hard drive. I'm not sure how bad it is but I can post some an mp3 of one of my side projects songs if the recording isn't too muddy.