1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neuroscience explains why bass is a rhythm instrument.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Crater, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    vmabus, TonyP- and Flad like this.
  2. DreamError

DreamError

May 30, 2014
    TX
    "They found that the auditory nerve responded more to the timing errors of the lower-pitched tones than to the errors of the higher-pitched tones."

All the more reason to make sure you're the best around at keeping time :D

3. Nothing like bass!

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
  5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, duh. Anyone who (like yours truly) has switched or expanded from guitar to bass is painfully aware of how much slop you can get away with, rhythmically speaking, on guitar that you absolutely cannot on bass.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I like science.

vmabus likes this.
  7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    And I thought it was because we evolved to pay more attention to the low thud of approaching dinosaur footsteps, and less attention to chirping birds.

nukes_da_bass likes this.
  8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    What about double bass solo pieces ? Their studies only works on our simplified rock music system of putting drum in charge of rythm, bass in the middle guitar on top ...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Humans were not around when the dinosaurs were.
    This is not to say it wasn't dangerous 150,000 years ago.

HolmeBass likes this.
  10. So in theory, your metronome should be playing lower bass sounds than the high pitched annoying click. Science.

It's not surprising though, and obviously extends more than just bass guitar. The kick drum. The low bass sounds when listening to electronica music through sub woofers.

This is why my drummer drives me nuts when he plays too much kick drum on every song regardless of genre. His excuse is "I'm a melodic drummer." Otherwise known as not enough motor-skills control. My explanation was, "You're killing the groove. You need to give the music space with a defined rhythm, or you'll fatigue the audience was constant noise."

11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Captain Obvious, you are my hero! :D

12. mstillman

mstillman

Dec 6, 2011
    MetroWest MA
    This point (unfortunately) cannot be overstated to today's youth, and many adults as well.