1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neutrik Locking Output (Ibanez BTB)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Quinn Roberts, Aug 10, 2018.

1. After a years of ignorant use and abuse, my trusty ol' BTB's output is starting to go. I know they're easily purchased online, and replacements are simple. For a number of reasons, however, I'm not sure if I really want to stick with the locking output going forward. The idea is great, but what saves your ears and possibly speakers also destroys cables (at least if you're clumsy like me!).

Anyone know if there are any (non-locking) alternatives to replace my output with that wouldn't require adjustments upon remounting.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hate those stupid things. aside from your well-taken point about a mishap resulting in a busted cable or a pulled-over amp, they tend to wear out pretty fast.

IIRC, good news is you can just get a direct replacement (it's a neutrik) and remove the locking mechanism entirely so it works like a regular jack.

Quinn Roberts and FingerDub like this.
  3. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Yep, I'd rather have it pull out from the instrument first

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  4. You do recall correctly, Walter. ;) Yep, I've done this. Works great. And the jack you are left with is really sturdy.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Neutrik jacks make sense on a high current connection where accidentally unplugging something can result in damage. Using one on an instrument attempts to solve a nonexistent problem while creating a new one.

6. Thanks for the idea on dismantling the lock! Amazing how such simple ideas can dumbfound me! :laugh:

I'm ordering the part from Musician's Friend, so hopefully I'll get it installed this weekend!

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you guys are thrashing about to the point of yanking heads off of bass rigs, you should go wireless! :wideyed:

8. I wondered where there ODs and Compressors were?

two fingers likes this.