1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Never thought I would be saying this...Goodbye darlin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shababy32, Jan 18, 2019.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Greetings and salutations everyone. Or as we say down here in God’s country(Missisippi), how y’all doin? Well I must admit for a minute I’ve been down in the dumps. I had to sell my 2015 Fender American Standard P Bass. It hurt. It was the bass that I had been striving to get for years and years. Then I started thinking. It’s really only a bass guitar. A damn fine one, but it didn’t make my bed, my exwife actually paid for it and being that she was spawned from Lucifer himself, the damn thing could have easily been possessed and who knows. The bass might have even spontaneously emmiting massive electrical currents and possibly fried me...Like I really need something to do that to me. I successfully did that to myself during the 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s, and well, satans daughter gave me the best gift ever. My son! So when it is either keep what I consider the Holy Grail or Santa for my boy, it’s a no freakin brainer!
    Anyway, here’s my question. I have a Jazz bass already, and I’ve been really interested in goin a different rout. Like the semi hollow body, or hollow body, or just something different. Fender Starcaster, Gretsch, or even the epi jack Cassidy or Allen Woody bass. Not lookin to spend over 800. Any suggestions?
    Thank y’all!

2. Sid s

Sid s

Dec 22, 2016
    Western NC, USA
    Go to church

3. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Thank you for your concern! I try to make it every Sunday. I might need to grab some holy water this Sunday. I think I heard my exwife talk like a cross between the Excorcist and The Nun tonight! Sleeping with one eye open tonight!

MCF, REMBO, Pbassmanca and 11 others like this.
  4. If her head starts spinning watch out!

5. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    this D'Angelico is $800..dual pickup model.....D'Angelico Premier Electric Bass

MasterMonkeyMan, Mpike and deernaes like this.
  6. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Well her head hasn’t made a complete 360, but her nose holes get so big when she’s pissed off, u could drive a Mac truck through one nose hole, and have a tractor trailer pull through the other! Regardless, as much as I could bash her, and deservedly so, I really need to figure out what kind of bass I want. I am done with marriage!

7. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Being that I have never owned a semi or hollow body bass, are they durable? For some reason I think of them as being fragile. Is this true?

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    A Sire P7 can be had for less than $800, I think...

jmone and BassGeekJack like this.
  9. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Only one eye, eh?;)
    The Epi Casady.

Guiseppe, MCF, edwinhurwitz and 6 others like this.
  10. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    if you want a better domestic, try flatwounds

jackn1202 likes this.
  11. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Epi Cassady.....I sold mine but it was an awesome bass.

12. underwhelmist

underwhelmist

Nov 16, 2018
    UK
    Something different? Hollow body you say? I know nothing about these (I posted a thread asking about them and got tumbleweed), but I do like the look of them - Hagstrom Viking:
    viking.
    edit: Duh, dollar/pound confusion, might be overbudget.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

Will you have an opportunity to play any of these first, or is this buy it, sight unseen?

14. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm not religious, but the amount of dislike you're hanging onto for this person seems like the opposite of something a holy man would do, but I digress.

I'd say if $800 is your budget, look at an Epi Jack Casady. They sound great. Also, in my experiences, semi-hallows are no more fragile than solid bodies unless you're swinging them around intentionally.

Glenn Mac, Strung_Low, MCF and 13 others like this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Out of OP's list and that category in general, yeah, I'll second the JC, can't be beat, and sturdier than you might think (just don't abuse).

OldStrummer likes this.
  16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, an ex gone psycho. Been there, done that, got the T shirt, myself. Good luck with it! I think of it as getting let out of a bad contract. In the long run, I've been much better off. It was a bumpy ride getting through it, 'sall.

Back to bassics. The bass you disposed of was a P, yeah? If you enjoyed having both a J and a P on hand, maybe the good move is to replace the P.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, that's why I suggested the Sire P7 - in passive, rolled to the neck, you've got all of the "modern P" bases covered. Roll in the bridge pickup and/or go active, and you've got way more flexibility than that old P ever did.

On the other hand, the JC is a sweet, sweet bass, and can also cop a pretty decent "P" style tone with the right settings and hand technique...

randini, jackn1202, Ewo and 1 other person like this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not a short-scale fan but I've always liked the Rumblekat, especially in that new Sapphire Blue finish.

MCF and PSPookie like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Semi-hollows have a bigass wood center block inside. They’re as sturdy as most solidbody basses. You’re probably thinking more of hollow body archtop type instruments. Those are more like an acoustic guitar in terms of fragility. But that said, even those are pretty sturdy when it comes to normal dinging and bumping. A hard smash right to the face can be a problem. But that’s something that can damage any bass if it gets hit just right.

tl:dr - Don’t worry about it. Semi-hollow basses are sturdy.

20. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird gets my vote! Fantastic sounding bass and excellent quality. I have been playing Thunderbirds since 1976 and the VP is more than a match for 60's Thunderbirds. I loved my first one so much I bought another! I see more in the future. 20181102_183244. 20181102_183244.

Attached Files: