1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 6 string neck-through!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Anonymous 98765, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    I'm sorry there hasn't been many posts in a while; 2 weeks of exams! Oh well. The truss rod channels have been routed and the neck taper cut. Also a rough thickness of the neck has been cut. The woodworker has to do everyone's work as we aren't allowed to use the bandsaw or router, so progress is very slow.

James

2. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Looks like I'll just post pics when I've finished; I'm way too busy to take them at the moment. Neck is being shaped, headstock is cut out, and I've ordered the Ultralites and A style bridge.

James

3. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    OK, here are some pics:

(Ignore my hair :D)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck to body sculpting may look off line because there is still some wood I need to cut off of the back of the bass.

[​IMG]

If you look at the pic below you will see a piece of maple glued to the right side of the neck. This is where I had to rebate the edge where the router went crazy :)

[​IMG]

James

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks good. I like the neck heel carve.

Is that a gap or an accent line between the neck shaft and the stringer in the last shot?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You can see them on the back, too.

Otherwise, looks nice!

6. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Angus and pilotjones it's a gap because the body isn't actually glued on yet, it's just stuck on with double sided tape so I could get the sculpting right. Thanks for the comments!

James

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why wouldn't you glue first?!

8. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Don't worry it's just stuck on so I could get the shaping right :) I'm going to rout the body cavities first before I stick on the wings.

James

9. When you glue up the body wings I'd like to see pics; I imagine it may be tricky getting even pressure against the odd(compared w/a square piece of wood- not a jab at your design :D)shapes of the horns,etc. Also possibly dodgy ;) will be the tendancy of the pieces to shift around(up/down & for/aft relative to the neck/center)as you apply clamping pressure. I'm recalling gluing the fingerboard onto an EUB neck; after ruining one, :bawl: on the neext attemp(still not done)I drove short brads into the neck face, ground the exposed ends to a point & then carefully dry-clamped the fingerboard in place. After that, the pins aligned the two pieces perfecty- no lateral/fore-aft slippage.
    I'm interested in how you'll approach this potential issue.
    Nice work!

10. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    To be honest, I'll probably just clamp the wings vertically and horizontally to stop them slipping around. When it comes to the fingerboard, I might do as you did or just cut the fingerboard a bit wider than it needs to be so if it slips it still covers the neck and all I have to do is trim around the edges.

I'll need some grain filler for the gap when I glue on the fingerboard; the face/edge (corner) of the neck is not quite level but it's no problem.

James

11. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
  12. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
  13. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Would if I had the time :meh:

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    James - I just had a refret done on my old 1978 Precision and the guy did a really nice job. If you want to check it out, let me know, you're welcome to come and have a good looksee at it. Maybe he could fret this monster for you.

15. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    If it's JayDee then it's going to cost me £160 to get it fretted :rollno:

I'd just like to get it done because this bass is infintely versatile with the quad coils and being a 6 string

16. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I paid £140 for a complete neck refinish and refret - quite a big job. This was done through my local music shop by a guy they use there, I don't know his name. Really nice work, though.

17. automan

automan

Aug 29, 2009
    That's a great price for either a refret or a refinish, but for both... wow

18. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Could you ask how much it would cost for my 6 string? It has a zero fret too.

19. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry, I should have said "neck refinish" - post above edited accordingly. The bass had bad edge wear on large parts of the fingerboard (what I believe some folks refer to as rolled edges). The guy somehow managed to get down to the wood and relaquer the maple neck and board. As I said, it's great work and I thought £140 was a very fair price for that and the refret inclusive.

20. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'll give them a ring tomorrow or pop in at the weekend. The shop is just yards from my house.

Just got back from the Yam gig - great fun. "What is Hip" sounded awesome.

BTW, I sent you an email about your application earlier. I hope you got it okay.