1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American "P"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rathead123, Apr 1, 2009.

1. At last years price!!
    Walked in G.C. to buy the band some lights to replace some we broke last gig. Got the lights and a new "P" bass.
    I was looking for a backup anyway, to my Geddylee jazz, and was going to pickup anything suitable. I looked at a couple mim "j"'s, the 70's "j", And another Geddy. Considering the price jump, I couldnt pass up a "sunburst" "tort" "P", at that price.

Attached Files:

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet! I have that same combination. Congrats.

3. Cool.. I see you got a natural & maple "P". I played one in the 70's and 80's.

4. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Good for you bro, very nice.

5. One of my fav color combos on a P. Enjoy it.

6. Thanks.
    I'd heared alot of good things about these 08 and up models.
    It plays good and sounds great. Used it at practice played,through an SBT, nice silky smooth piano bass sound.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    If only it were maple!

;)

8. Yea, maple is cool. Got a Geddy lee as stated earler, love the maple. Had a maple board Precision years ago. But, sunburst, tort, and rosewood is nice too.

Also on a not related note. Since the Geddy got some mention, even as good as these American Standards are, Im always amazed at how well the Geddy Lee bass compares. Sad thing, they have gotten so expensive. When they were $849-899, and less used,they were hard to beat at the old prices.

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, that's a '75 P. I love it. It's still my favorite P that I've ever owned.

10. Wow.. thats good. The one I played was HEAVY!!! Which I like. Ive always used the thickest straps I could find.

I havent weighed the new one yet. Its lighter than the Geddy for sure..

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    For me, it's Pro Comfort Strapps on all my basses.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That such a classy look - sunburst, tort, rosewood. I have her five-string cousin and just love it.

Enjoy!

13. Yep thats the look.

Ill gig it tonight, alternate sets with it and the Geddy Lee. In fact I think Ill go over our set list and find the songs more suited to the P-bass tone. And use it on them.. Use the J on songs its suited for it. Since we change setlist every week, I wont know what those songs will be till I see the setlist tonight.

14. And gig it I did. Played the Jazz the first set, and the precision the other 2 sets. I didnt plan on playing it that much. But I couldnt stop, even with it toned out for good clarity, it has this heavy massive sound!

Fender did good on these.

15. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I "accidently" walked out of my local shop with one a few weeks ago. Why I even picked it up to play, I don't know. But that was all it took.

About the only thing I'm on the fence with right now is the pup. I'm not sure if it's because I've played a G&L SB1 for so long, but the pup seems very "tame". But damn, the playability, adjustability, and up amped tone is just amazing. Those things alone make it worth every penny, and then some. I too got mine at an extremely discounted price (left over '08 model), but I'll tell you, it's even worth every penny of the price hike. I'm going to give it some more time with the stock pup though. I threw on some TI flats, and was generally unimpressed..... they only accentuated the tame pup. I'm not a DA fan, but I threw on some chromes anyway, because they're a bit more aggressive. Also, they're the super longs, and went through the body..... which I believe makes a big difference, especially with the thinner undercoat. Much better tone.

I have SD Antiquities in my MIA Jazz, and they're incredible. I'm thinking a Antiquity II P might be what I'm looking for with this. Or maybe an overwound Fralin..... I want something that can get mean when cranked, yet warm and wooly when rolled off a bit.

Ljazz

16. Yea those G&L's are great. Chrome steels should wake that thing up. Strings were a concern of mine, Ive never liked Fender strings. But I can live with these, they must be fresh.

I walked into G.C., and saw this one marked $1009. I couldnt pass it up.

If you change pups, post about it. Ill look for it. It would be great to see your results.