1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass! Advice, tips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleepyhead_KH, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys!, So, I'm new here and I also got a new bass yesterday! Got a Warwick Corvette bass with active J/J MEC pickups. for $488.00. I think it was a good deal considering online they for as cheap as $539. Anyways, I gig with two bands, one that demands standard tuning, and another one who plays in drop C. Will alternating with these two tunings somehow damage my bass(I'm a noob when it comes to bass care and hardware etc...)? Any special care for active basses? Any tips on cleaning/upcare with natural finish basses? Or just any advice you'd like to drop unto a fellow bassist is appreciated!

2. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The chances of damage are pretty slim, but you might find that you get a lot of fret buzz in the drop tuning because the neck de-flexes so much. You might take it to a guitar shop with a good tech and get it set up for the drop tuning, but then when you tune up to standard your action will be a bit high.

Sounds like you need to buy another bass already :p

Either way, taking it to someone who can do a good setup job on it is definitely worth it.

3. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson

Dec 23, 2009
    Hill City, SD USA
    As far as drop tunings doing damage....no....but jim is right on about the setup issues. Sounds like you have bought a 5 string. No need to drop tune. As far as active is concerned, just change your battery and play. Spend time and get to know your preamp, a little can go a long way and if you are not familier with it it can do more harm than good to your sound. Good luck...cool bass
    Mike