1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass player using my ideas.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mytt88, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    Was wondering if anyone knows how I should approach this.

Basically I co-wrote the songs in a band that has gone behind my back and replaced me. I'm mainly thinking about the bass lines that have my style all over them. I'm happy for them to use the parts I've already recorded with them to save them the hassle of re-recording but the new bass player hasn't bothered writing his own parts in rehearsal videos of unrecorded songs posted on facebook. I know they're scheduled to record soon but I really don't think they should be recording my take on the bass lines.

Outtaseezun and basvox like this.
  2. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I think the law states that the party with better lawyers, wrote the song.

3. I would only be concerned if the new bassist got song credit for writing them. You wrote the bass lines for their songs.

4. Unless there's songwriting credit(s) and publishing in question here, the guy is learning the parts from the recordings he was given. You may not like it, but you're gonna have to live with it. Move on.

Hal Blaine was once asked what if felt like to have done so many landmark recordings for the Beach Boys. Ever irascible, Blaine replied, 'I'll tell you how it feels: I got double scale once for each song, and that %$^#& Carl Wilson makes 15 grand a night playing them.'

Like I always say, if you want 'fair', buy yourself a ticket to the Ferris Wheel.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Wow. Agree with the above. When I joined the originals band I've been in for three years, they gave me a bunch of recordings and I learned my parts. It never once occurred to me that their earlier bassist would be upset with me for "stealing his lines." I've since met that guy and he's always been nice to me, so...

Are you a credited songwriter on a money-making release? If so, then you should be getting the money for your contribution. Anyone coming in behind you to play it is just covering your material. If it's not making money and/or you aren't credited, there's not much to be upset about.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Personally, I would just take it as a compliment and move on.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Accept it, and let it go.

The only other choice you have is to be upset and/or do things that will make you even more upset. And that's the truth.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    And I'll add:

I had a bass line taken from me from someone who is now famous. I can post recordings of ME playing the bass part, and HIM re-recording it (and taking credit) --and I REALLY want to :)-- but my belief is it will only cause more issues. The song wasn't a hit, but its available for purchase. Its a remake of a cover.

EDIT: Just realized I CAN do this without me causing waves. Here's ME playing bass on the song... first time I'm ever posting this, even though it was recorded over a decade ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Just walk away. Really.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Show up to their next gig, introduce yourself, tell him he's doing a great job, and generally be supportive. :)

barrenelly, Kokoman, crguti and 26 others like this.
  11. No advice that hasn't been mentioned already, but yeah, it's out of your hands. Take it as a compliment, & take two of these. Get back to us in the morning...

51HeIuBRK2L.

Dunyet, Roffa, Atshen and 16 others like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Those bass lines go with those songs. Your old band liked them, but apparently didn't like you. Now they probably want the new bass player to play those songs as is.

Forget about it. Write more songs with other people and get on with your life.

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

^^^THIS! :thumbsup:

DJ Bebop, LBS-bass and Keger Jupit like this.
  14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Do you legally own the bass parts? Even if you did, it wouldn’t make sense to pursue any legal action.

Outtaseezun, DJ Bebop and SactoBass like this.
  15. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Very few bassists have a really distinctive style. Maybe his style is naturally similar to yours.

Take it as a compliment that they couldn't come up with better bass parts than yours!

barrenelly, Dunyet, basvox and 10 others like this.
  16. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Are you getting songwriting credit? If so, consider your bass parts, which, for the new bass player to want to play them, must be perfect for the songs, as a part of the songwriting credit. If you're not getting songwriting credit, get that taken care of first, in my opinion.

17. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn SUSPENDED

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    When Kiko Loureiro joined Megadeth he learned all of Marty Friedman's parts and solos. When Chris Barnes left Cannibal Corpse, George Fisher did not rewrite his own lyrics. That's just how it works. A band is not going to rewrite or trash all their songs every time someone leaves the band.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Um, did they just get signed to Geffen, Warner Brothers or some other company that's in a position to let them on The Ride?

mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Look at it this way:

I am allowed to play Flea's bass line from "Aeroplane." I am allowed to play James Jamerson's bass line from "Bernadette." I am allowed to play John Deacon's bass line from "Another One Bites The Dust."

What is your logic why I am *NOT* allowed to play your bass lines?

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    "Co-writing a song" and "coming up with bass lines for a song" are not the same thing. Either way, unless there is money at stake, it is useless to spend more just to make a point.