New Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steelrock, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Hi fellow musicians,
    I wasn;t sure where to post this. But I'm a new member to this forum. I'm also looking around I really like the interface you have setup here for the forum lots of options and helpful links. Thanks for your time.
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Welcome to talkbass fellow low ender. There is a ton of information and stuff here, feel free to ask or post just about anything related.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    PS - you likely wont get a lot of response in this forum, even though its the correct forum to post this in Id think hehe. Don't feel bad, most people post their first post in the basses forum since thats the most popular and the one they normally find from a link on google.
  4. hey steel,

welcome indeed! look forward to you posting in the future.

could you tell us something about your gear, style of playing, experiences, et cetera?

from the lows,

5. I've been playing about 2 years now. I've studied music for about a semester at my local university. It's called UTEP. I've started on violin in elementary school moved on to guitar in highschool then played bass and found my niche. Nothing like playing an instrument as bass. To me it's an art , I'm an artist and my bass is my canvas. I paint pictures , And I get to show people my pictures with not just sight but sound as well. I'm also working on my vocals and getting them up to speed. I have very little live experience only 2 shows with a couple rock bands locally. I'm interested in studio work. Sort of paving the way for myself. I like Dream Theater, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, James Jamerson, Oscar Pettiford, John Pattituci , I use a fingerstyle technique but I do also know how to use a pick. I play on a Behringer BX3000T head with an ampeg 1x15 underneath. I'm looking to play local gigs as a solo bassist without a band. Im trying this as a new thing because no one does this around my city. Any tips?
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well one tip, check out Michael Dimin (he posts in the ask a pro section). His CD is great, and is a true solo bassist, without playing an ERB. Not that ERB discredits ANYTHING, but Michael's stuff might be more reachable as far as instrumentation hehe. My recomendation is to check out those that have been successful as a solo bass player. You mentioned some greats there, but to add one, check out Stanley Clarke as well if you havent already. He is one of the first people to ever play an entire concert just him and his bass on a stage.
  7. Michael Manring, Stu Hamm, and Trip Wamsley are all interetsing soloists, too. Steve Lawson's ambient approach is very different as well.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Here is a clip (its a windows media file - so you need explorer)

9. I had UTEP upsetting Utah and then beating Oklahoma in my bracket...why couldn't you pull through?

But anyway welcome to talkbass! :hyper: :hyper:
  10. Hi Steelrock,

welcome the tb community.

under the "Miscellaneous" page there is a thread to introduce yourself to the board. you should give it a shot and post your profile there :)
  11. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    That's too bad; I had Utah beating both so I guess I win.

Steelrock, welcome to the board.
  12. IT is a shame we lost. I was so sad. They put up a good fight. I think it came down to height and over coaching in the end.. Thanks for all your tips folks i'll check them out.