1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Basss Preamp by TC Electronics - Spectra Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Mar 15, 2018.

1. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Interested!

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I already preordered it on Sweetwater.

five7, BrentSimons and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. K-2

K-2

Nov 30, 2016
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Just what I need...

I don't know what is with me and preamp pedals, but once I see a new one coming out I instantly get a GAS.

Currently using DG B7K V1. Can't be happier with the results.... but...but I want this... I need this ....

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You are not alone in that.

Maybe we should get a support group going for preamp junkies like us?

6. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    I'm at work and can't hear the demo video, I wonder how close this is to the RH tone circuit? Controls are the same.

Also, it has a switch on the back denoting the signal as line or instrument; does that mean that if you are using this as a stompbox going into an amp or poweramp, you can't also send a DI signal? Or simply that you have the option to dial the line-out signal down to instrument quality if so desired?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I think, they write, it should sound close to the BH circuit, not RH (they sound differently).

If this thing sounds like a BH, but has a better DI quality (my BG250's has lots of noise above 10kHz in DI out), it might be very interseting.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im going to get one as well, and i own these already.

IMG_1086.JPG

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

@dave_bass5 - I’ve got An Ampeg SCR/DI, a Southampton Ictaneo, a Lounsberry Rupert that can either be used as a preamp or an overdrive, and an Alex-1 Bax which was something I was able to commission from Broughton Audio back the in those golden days when Josh was still taking on custom orders. I’ve also got a couple of homebrews I’ve been working on and off with over the years.

It just never ends.

The Tech21 Q/Strip and Liverpool are still at the top of my “next time” list.

Some people accumulate effects. I jones on preamps and compressors mostly. So I’ve got two addictions going. Plus coffee. I’m an old IT guy. Gotta get my cup of dark blood in every few hours.

95C6F776-C113-4017-B64C-3574B34F9A4D.

10. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    I'm getting one!

Nunovsky, jmlee, gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not my favorite bass tone most times but that was a really good sounding demo they had with that bassist tearing it up in the background. Go Gingers!

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    This is cool! There was TB'er on here that had made a mock up of TC pre a few years ago. I hope they consulted him!
    I know I know but I wished they had put a tuner on it...like the one on the RH450?
    Brent

Orestes Chouchoulas likes this.
  13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive got a Zoom B3n that has everything I need in one box. I never even think about using it live, but instead will keep buying pedals that i dont have a real use for but NEED lol.
    GAS strikes in mysterious ways.

ppiluk and 40Hz like this.
  14. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Who was that Bass Player? I think I am going to have to grab one of these

Nunovsky likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Got that right.

Still, it’s nice to plug an outboard preamp into the effects return on your main amp so that you’re sidestepping the built-in pre. It’s like having a different amp for each day of the week without killing your bank account or running out of space in the house.

I definitely like my preamps. Why hold at one good bass amp when you can have a showroom full of them for roughly an additional $100-$250 each?

And don’t even get me started on the sonic and response subtleties and variety to be found when you pair different preamps with different compressor designs. For compressors I’m currently up to five with at least more four on my GAS list.

I am so in need of therapy…

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    LYNCHMAN and K-2 like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The preamp or they player?

17. I wonder how different is it from the preamp section of a BG250? Looks like you can use both the spectracomp and Tubedrive at the same time (bg250 you can switch between them but not both at same time) and get lo-hi mid EQ. Oh, and a ground lift.

Orestes Chouchoulas likes this.
  18. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I would probably get arrested if I grabbed the bass player with my luck. Who is she? I am going to grab the Preamp it would be much easier.

Thundar likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I got an Aftershock distortion a week ago, and said to myself "I'm done with overdrive pedals...until TC comes out with their Tone Print version" I knew they'd come out with a tone print overdrive eventually, but I had no idea it'd be one aimed at bass, and I figured I had a year or two before my next purchase, but the overdrive models in my TC head (I can't use them on the one gig where I use an amp) are...too good to not have, especially if I can have them on my pedalboard. Assuming you can edit overdrive parameters on your computer like their other tone print pedals, I'm absolutely on board.