1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Boss OC-5 Octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amper, Sep 17, 2020.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
  2. Looks promising.

"Introduced in 1982, the OC-2 was the world’s first modern octave pedal for guitar and bass. Still loved by players everywhere, the stomp’s warm-yet-present tone sits perfectly in a mix, and its characteristic voice can be heard in many famous songs. The OC-5’s Vintage mode brings you the OC-2’s iconic mono sound, coupled with improved response thanks to the new tracking engine."

oc-5_f_gal.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What does this really bring?

4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Where’s the OC-4??

So at Boss they go 2, 3....5

5. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Interesting that it has an Octave +1 voice....that's a nice feature. I think it's OC-2 / vintage mode pretty much nails the OC-2 (pure wet) tones. I'd hope this thing doesn't have the unity gain issues of the original OC-2 and none of the bypass issues of the original either. It would have been nice to had a foot button that switched fully wet in/out. But that's just me.
    Nice as this is....my analogue octave sounds are now handled by my Source Audio C4 on my board and it does all this and way way more.

Goatrope, jibreel, AlvarHanso and 9 others like this.
  6. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I’m still waiting on the coffee\espresso patch for the C4.

;)

dbsfgyd1 and GMC like this.
  7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Nothing wrong with digital, but is this digital?

8. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    If it's polyphonic. Yes, it's digital.

If it can do what the micro POG does with the octave up polyphony, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Still have my old crusty moded oc2...so for that sound I'm set.

9. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    There is no Boss xx-4 anything, except for an EQ pedal. 4 is an unlucky number in Japanese/Asian culture, so they do not use 4 on any of their pedals.

10. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    The 100% wet OC2 sound seemed very close to me. Unless they are boosting, there will be a perceptual volume drop just thanks to Fletcher-Munson. Levels always always looks way better in a DAW than you'd think. What I'm not clear on is whether it's all digital or just the poly mode. The big downside of every digital octave down that I've tried has been latency. It's more about how it feels to play rather than how it sounds.

11. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Gimme the oc-13 then.

:)

Winton, amper, equill and 12 others like this.
  12. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I will likely get one.

13. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    Boss has pretty low latency on their digital pitch shifting nowadays. Especially octave effects which are easier to manage than other intervals.

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Very interesting. I've held off on the classic OC-2 because I would need an octave up in my pedal also, but this seems great. Close enough to the OC-2 for my needs, and plenty of octave options. I'm likely to get one.

Now the question is... how well does it track a B-string?

champbassist likes this.
  15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    The new EHX Pitch Fork plus is also a serious contender if you need more than the OC2 sound. Their tracking on very low notes is better than boss IME.

ToS and sing-modulator like this.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Cool move to have a 'vintage' setting and a 'poly' modern setting. I'd hope they've listened to the peeps about the negatives of the true vintage OC-2's. I ended up getting a bypass looper with it's own volume/level control to make it useable on my board before moving to other options. I hated the 'always on buffer' that was a tone suck and then the volume issue with running the 1st octave by itself. If they've sorted those things and the classic side does sound like the original, I bet plenty of people will be happy.

...though in our day and age, this cat has been skinned a whole pile of ways. Even as a only occasional user of an octave pedal, I have not only an original OC-2 but also a Cog T-16, a C4 and soon will take delivery of an Iron Ether Dubterranea.

sing-modulator, DJ Bebop, GMC and 2 others like this.
  17. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I kinda wish they had taken some notes on the success of the boutique octavers out there. The -2 Octave knob could've been replaced with a filter/tone knob. I know BOSS' are "one-click" pedals, but maybe they could've tucked a switch for sub-only into the bottom right blank space. That being said, as an octaver-junkie, I'll have to give it a try. It's up against the stiff competition I already have, which include:

BOSS OC-2
    BOSS OC-3
    TC SubnUp
    COG T-16
    COG T-65
    IE Subterannea
    IE Dubterranea
    3Leaf Octavbre mini
    3Leaf Octavbre mkIII (incoming)
    Broughton Synth Voice
    DOD Meatbox Reissue
    Mantic Hulk

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Did you see that Mantic announced they might to another limited run of Grinches for Christmas this year?

kazuhank and Jakeman like this.
  19. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I did not know that! Wow looks awesome - I'm going to try to snag one. My little brother stole my Hulk to use on his electronic drums, and I don't have the heart to ask for it back!

BurningSkies likes this.
  20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I bought a pair of Flex-Pro pedals a few years back, there's nothing like what they do. I always try to keep my eye on what they have going on and they're pretty chill to deal with too.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.53.12 AM.png

nbsipics, Frans688 and Jakeman like this.