1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Build! 35.5" Neck-thru 6'er

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FarrellwithanF, Apr 29, 2010.

1. hey enthusiasts! OK, So i've shown off personal work before, and have had many years enjoyment out of my work, and compliments, but I've just started my first commission for another player, and am very excited.

Basically a few months ago I had organised a lesson with Stewart, the bassist from an Aussie band called Dead Letter Circus (http://www.myspace.com/deadlettercircus) before one of their shows. So we're hanging out and having a beer, and i pop out my 6 String i made last year. while my 6 has a warmoth neck, he loved the entire feel and weight i had achieved and he couldn't stop noodling around on it. :bassist:

Stewart has been playing a 5 string Warwick Thumb BO for the past 10 years, and has recently been tuning A C G C F, and has found the 34 inch too flabby for live use, and it's starting to warp and fall apart. so i put the offer out there that i could build him something similar to my 35 inch 6, he asked if i could build a thumb NT6-replica with a super long scale, and while I've never conquered an neck thru before and replicating a thumb seemed daunting (and not my own design), I've taken up the challenge. we changed a few things from the current model NT as he loves the old Warwicks with wenge necks.

I figured this time instead of posting a summary once it's finished, I'll keep up progress this bass each step along the way.

stats:

35.5" 6 string, Neck Thru
    Bubinga Body
    5-piece Wenge / Bubinga veneer Neck
    Wenge Fretboard
    Nordstrand Big Single Pickups
    Aguilar OBP-2 Pre
    Gotoh tuners
    Hipshot "A" Bridge.

I've picked up my Timbers from the yard a few days ago, drawn out a scale plan, and 2moro is the day for prep day 1. Ripping the neck wood for laminating, and dressing a piece for the cap on top of the body to give that solid body look.

This is an awesome opportunity, Stewart's band is one of Australia's hardest working touring bands, and are just about to release their debut album, so the exposure this bass will have once complete is awesome. :hyper:

Thanks for your time! George.

Attached Files:

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    This looks like a cool build keep it comming

3. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I will totally ask you to build me one if this turns out as killer as I think it will.

4. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    Will be interesting to see it come together. Wenge and bubinga sound like they would go well together, asthetically speaking. Kind of a dark charred earth vibe.

5. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Sub'd.

6. We have a neck blank! :hyper:

I've changed a few things hehe, spur of the moment.

Veneer from Bubinga to Rosewood, just for something different.

The neck now looks like

Top:

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

The centre piece is 20mm wide, and will sit under the A and D strings :D also figured it would add some strength.

It's a little bit glue-ugly on both sides but i'm running it through the thicknesser in a few days so eh.

Next step - finishing the width and side profile, headstock shape.

7. update! alot of progress the past few days,

the neck is ready to go, all it needs is a fingerboard and a body.

[​IMG]

headstock veneered with crown cut wenge and shaped:

[​IMG]

As far as working out a way to carve the body, i was out at a bar the other night and it hit me, ideas come in the strangest of places. slotting the body blanks to various depths following the radius, before I cut the shape on the band saw. giving me a real visual guide for both sides.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is fingerboard time. Then a little bit of body shaping, then to glue the wings on Saturday. I'm hoping to have the whole thing shaped + routed by Tuesday night, ready for oiling 2 coats per day until Saturday the 22nd. It's going to be a tight schedule but worth it, this is the most exciting build I have had so far.

8. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Looking good so far ;-)

9. Nice technique! Reminds me of the way a lot of violin makers use to get the proper thickness across the top and back.

10. So, alot has happened in a few days, the body is done, and only a few things left before it gets some oil!

ended up using an electric planer to get the rough profile and belt sander to get the body curved. even bought myself a convex ibex plane (18mm blade) to get the final shape but didn't end up using it. go the makitas!

[​IMG]

muscled up the courage to rout my electronics cavity freehand!

[​IMG]

and the body

[​IMG]

really happy with the result of the body, feels and looks fantastic. anyone who's interested the body is 35mm thick.

will rout the rest of the cavities (pickups, slight inset for bridge) then hit up some frets and drill all the wiring and potentiometer holes tomorrow. hopefully will be putting oils on wednesday.

11. Its Nearly done!

Just put my final coat of oil on this morning. Since the last update, all the cavities are finished and the frets are on. Now while the oil is drying i need to make the cavity covers and the nut. Assembly tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Lookin very thumby...cool

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Did you countersink the bridge position before doing the curve? , I couldn't tell.

14. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    It looks unrouted in post #10.

15. Sorry all sub'd to this... i've been busy the past month and completely forgot about the final pics.

all is done. delivered. happy!

and yes, the bridge was routed in after the shape was completed.

pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Wow, looks fantastic! How's the overall weight and neckdive (or lack thereof)? :)

17. Looks nice. Whats Kinetic?

18. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The energy of motion. ;)

19. Thank You, Captain Obvious! :p

20. kinetic, is my company. if i could call it that ;)

it's a name that kinda stuck. has an energy behind it hah.

The neck dive is very minimal if at all there. the ultralights helped a lot with reducing that.