1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Classic Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfart, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I have noticed that there have been a lot of these new "Classic Stingrays" up for sale. What is it about them that people don't like? I have played a couple different ones in music stores and they don't seem to bad to me, but I only spent a couple of minutes fooling around on one, no real serious play time. Is it the real glossy neck that bugs people? Thoughts please.

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I looked at about half a dozen of them and then bought a new stingray 5 HH.
    I think the classics are great looking basses but when I can get the HH option for the same price Im going to take it.
    Also not to say the classics dont great but the color options on the new rays are just awesome. Once I saw the Egyptian Smoke and heard the difference with two humbuckers theres no way I could consider one of the classics.

3. Gary Way

Gary Way

Jun 8, 2007
    I have a 05 SR5 unfinished neck. Its a very nice playing bass. I think the only thing thing is, it only really has one sound. I love the sound, but that's not for everyone or every musical situation. But that's why I also have a 73 Jazz and 82 Pre Basses. IMHO

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    I was missing tone on the one I played. The pre seemed very week vs. the newer SR, and the only usable sound was all knobs full up. The newer SR had more tones. The SBMM Ray 34 had more tone! Big disappointment.

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    My Classic Ray is the best sounding Ray I've ever played. If I had run across any other Rays that had sounded this good, I probably would still have it.

6. People change basses more often then underwear , thats why you seem them for sale. Lots of gear whores for lack of a better term.

And I am one.

7. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Personally I like the tonal options of a new Ray HH. However you can't beat the classic mojo of the older Rays.

8. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've played a few at GC and thought they sounded really good. I wasn't aware people didn't like them, although there seems to be an awful lot of used ones on ebay right now. I prefer the unfinished neck and 3-band eq myself, but I'd probably get a Classic over a pre-EB just for the rosewood neck (older rays seem to come predominantly with maple fretboards) if I were in the market for a 2-band.

9. theyre just the cream of the crop of what mm has to offer, in terms of playability and looks.the necks on these are killer, and its one of the few to offer a more curved radius the other mm models.

10. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    The Classic Rays sound absolutely phenomenal. They have more charactar than a regular Ray in my opinion and sound more refined. The Classic Series MM's are as close to a Custom Shop MM product as I have ever encountered. I have a Classic Series Sterling for sale here on TB right now and it is hands down the one of the best sounding and playing basses I have ever played. I didn't know if I would dig the finished neck because i love the unfinished neck on my MIA Sterling, but I LOVE the finished neck. It is like butter baby. Why am I selling it? Simple....I have to because I need the money...but believe me...i will be buying another one AS SOON as I can afford to. My guess is that others are in a similar situation in this economy where we fell in love with a bass to a degree that lead us to foolishly spend money we really couldn't afford to spend.

Attached Files:

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This is my Classic SR5. I really like the finished neck.

photo_4_A.

TD

12. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That is gorgous! I own your basses little brother!! (See Above)

13. er um....just checked ebay...not a single one on there...did i miss something?

I think its more about trying out the next thing more than anything. I dont have a local dealer available so I have to try what I can from here and the bay. There are a lot of nice basses in circulation...Sadowsky immediately comes to mind...all in what you look for.

I currently own a Classic and LOVE it. I find the preamp much sweeter in tone then the 3 bands...it is more subdued but thats what the gain feature on my amp is for....no issues with the glossy neck either..its very slick in nature to me.

14. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I think it's a sign of the economy. Perhaps people bought these instruments and their economic reality is hitting home, and something has to go. Higher ticket item with decent resale.

15. The classic rays don't come in left handed models. Thus, EBMM has broken my lefty heart with this ultimate betrayal.

I'm thinking it's economic reasons that they're being resold so often, they are a bit pricey in the first place.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The TB Classifieds isn't a good gauge to measure a bass' popularity or acceptance. Otherwise, Fender, Sadowsky, Lakland and other Ps and Js must have plenty of problems as they are always available there.

17. Stangely the Classic I played had the usual oil finish on the neck, not the poly lacquer... It was definitely a Classic too, Surf Green finish, mutes, 'Stingray Bass' logo, 2 band eq etc

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I have a MM Classic 'Ray for sale in the Classifieds now. The only reason I'm selling it is because I'm just so much more comfortable with my Fenders. Plus, I'd kind of like to downsize my collection a bit.

I do love the tone of the Classic; but for me, it's more of a "change-of-pace" bass. Some people seem to be Stingray people; some Fender people; some Ric people; etc. I'm pretty much a passive Fender guy.

But while playing one in G.C. one day, I fell in love with the tone. Couldn't resist, so I bought one. But now that I have it, I still find myself reaching for one of my Fenders more often than not. So my thinking is, there are a lot of folks who simply LOVE 'Rays, and a lot of those folks really love the new Classics. So why not let it go to a "good home" where it'll get the love it deserves. Another thing that I haven't heard too many people mention is that the fretwork is impeccable on these things. Great instrument. Just not as comfortable to me as my Fenders.

19. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Man, that's beautiful!

I too like the finished neck on these, as well as the curved radius of the fretboard. What I like most, though, is the looks of the Classic vs. the traditional SR5. I like the sound I get out of them better as well.

I hope they're still around when I'm able to afford one.

20. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I own a '92 SR5 so that's my point of reference. Whoever says it has "one" sound is missing out! But I've also lived with it for (gulp) 18 years so I know it pretty well.

I absolutely love my Classic SR4 (Natural!). The EQ for me is very usable and you can get quite a range out of it. I actually prefer bass up and treble way down. Smooooth. It's loud too so I'm not sure about the "weak pre" comment above. Maybe I got lucky as this is exactly what I was hoping for.

I was not so fortunate with my Classic SR5. In fact, it's back in EBMM's shop and has been for a while now. Less said the better.:meh: