1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Dingwall website...WARNING: severe gas-inducement...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassflute, May 4, 2010.

1. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    http://www.dingwallguitars.com/

That Geddy Lee jazz thing is just OUTRAGEOUS! I don't even like the original Fender, but that thing is nuts. LOVE it....

Actually, there's about 5 basses on that site that I really want...

Don't know if you've played one, but they are outrageously good... the low B is just ridiculous, and the high C sounds thick and beefy. 37" to 31.75" scale. Pickups are fabulous as well.

And Sheldon, if you ever meet him, is such a great guy you just want to buy into the brand and be a part of his particular bran of craziness. He's devoted his life to this cause, and now I finally understand why. I finally got to play one up at the Rocky Mountain Bass Bash for a while, an get comfortable with it, without a salesman hanging around and through MY rig...incredible. Surprizingly easy to make the transition to playing one, at least initially. Don't own one YET, but I will...soon. I'll keep you posted.

The one Tom Bowlus owns is crazy beautiful as well, and that Rasta Dingwall...sick!

Cheers,
    Cameron

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    See? That's what I've been sayin' all along.

I really appreciate the new site, especially with the side by side comparisons including string spacing and all detailed spec. Its a big improvement!

I find one of the basses in the Z gallery to be particularly fetching! :D

Also, please note that the Super-J series mentioned doesn't have a 37" scale on the low end, but a 35" scale for the 5.

:)

3. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Thanks for the kind words Cameron. Since your post I've added roughly 150 photos to the gallery pages. There's still some fine tuning to do and some more cool stuff to ad, but it's really neat to have it up finally.

4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    The new site is a HUGE improvement.

I saw it last night, actually, when I was looking into the specs on my ABI.

5. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Nice site makeover. I'm totally Jones'n for a Lee Sklar model in the CAR. Putting that pretty high on my wish list!

6. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Our version of CAR is easily the toughest finish we do, a custom blend of 3 different metallics, micas and pearls plus a custom blend of transparent red and brown, but woah does it ever glow.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Yeah, I need one. I may be able to afford a Combustion some day...

8. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    i want a combustion but i'm holding out for the 4 string. i really like the new site too !

9. I love the green on the combustion. Nice. :D

10. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Silly me, I just thought it was a stock Krylon color. :D

Sheldon, what's the sonic difference between the Z2 and the Sklar signature model?

11. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I just noticed looking looking at the site, Dingwall is coming to town July 2-4! Very cool. Bring some of those Jazz basses Sheldon. Every time I drop by Boutique Tone they're out.

Regards,

12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    That's a good question. They share the same pickups and preamp. The Z2 has a few more sonic options through switching whereas the Sklar is more straight forward. The Z2 has slightly scooped mids and the Sklar has very strong mids.

The most noticeable things about the Sklar are the mando frets almost feel like a fretless they play so effortlessly and the B is so clear that you don't just hear the note, you hear the pulse of the string. It almost sounds like someone doing a drum roll at 30 Hz.

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Trying to shake off the feeling that i now "need" a Super Jazz 5. Or a Z1. No...a SJ5!

...sigh...So broke....

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You can cover both (for the most part) with a Z3! :D

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL

Actually, I've had an AB1 and I think the scale of the SJ5 would be more to my liking. I mean, I did pretty well with the 37" low B, but I could really "feel" the stretch down to F, low C, and low C#. I'm thinking that a SJ5 would be a lot more comfortable for me. And, I've been thinking a lot about a 5-string Jazz lately anyways.

Besides, as visually stunning as all the Z3s are, I wonder where my picking fingers would go with all those pickups. I would probably spend all my time going back and forth between all the awesome tones contained in one of them. I actually like to keep it pretty simple, a Z1 would definitely by my choice if I wanted the 37" scale.

But, your Z3 has the nicest walnut top I've ever seen. Amazing!

16. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I just picked up a Combustion from Basscentral -- Olympic white, maple neck with the Baltic amber (brown & black pearl) pickguard. Believe me -- they look even better in person. I almost wish I'd gone for CAR.

This is one great bass! I've been playing a Lakland 55-94 pretty much exclusively for the past eight years but the Combustion might just bump it from the No. 1 slot. Very modern sound, although the 55-94 preamp is bit hotter. Action is very low and the only real adjustment I had to make was in right hand touch because of the action and lighter string gauge. The fanned frets pose no problem whatsoever.

I recorded two days after I got the bass -- used it for some modern funk-pop in the "Billy Jean" mode and for a rather Pink Floyd-ish tune and it covered each one very well. Workmanship is excellent -- there was only one slight rough spot on the side of the neck, but I was able to hit that with some very fine sandpaper and it's great now. The B is very nice -- maybe not quite as tight as the 55-94's, but I think this is due more to string gauge than scale length. It sounds very nice recorded. Clear from open Low B to the 24th fret G.

There really is no comparison between the 55-94 and the Combustion -- separate animals. I have Chromes the 55-94 now and it really sounds sweet. If I had to say the main difference, it's that the 55-94 is more old school sounding, especially with flats. Although I've seen some comments about people not liking the stock Dingwall strings, I find them to be very nice. Bright but without too much zing.

Yah done good, Sheldon.

17. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    and the ABII chambered thing with the walnut top is absolutely outrageous as well.

Big props to Sheldon for sticking to his guns all these years. He is building world class instruments of striking design, innovation, and workmanship.

Cheers,
    Cameron

18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    :D

After just a quick glance: vast improvement! Fantastic pictures. One can now much better see the different Afterburner variants in a proper way! :bassist:

/Alexander

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, good point.

Thanks! Sheldon sure did right by me with this one! This shot shows it off even better than the website photos:

IMG_8365.

Sheldon is a master artist, as well as a master luthier, if you ask me. :cool:

20. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I've never been more sad to be so broke..