1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New drop-in pickup suggestions for EB3 bridge pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bbao, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bbao

bbao

Oct 14, 2013
    A long time ago, while I saw searching for pickup suggestions for the EB3 bridge pickup (my version is epiphone), I came across an old article on here that talked about installing a seymour duncan rickenbacker neck replacement pickup for the bridge. I only saw that one person suggested it and no one else in many other threads so I'll just re-suggest it. The result? It's been a while since I've been able to plug my bass in BUT I did like the tone a lot better than the stock pickup.

Another pickup has been discovered as a potential replacement for the EB3 stock bridge pickup aswell. I found a seymour duncan SM-2B firebird mini humbucker which have very similar dimensions to the seymour duncan rickenbacker neck pickup so I'm assuming that would work well too. This SM-2B has a gold finish on it though so I'm not sure who'd want to use that.

Anyway, I hope this helps people who, like me, were on searches to find better bridge pickups for their EB3s.

Please don't ask for sound demos of the Seymour duncan rickenbacker neck pickup because my bass is currently undergoing a big surgery. I'll be installing a dimarzio will power neck pickup, hipshot supertone 3 point bridge and gotoh tuners to finish it off.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT A LUTHIER OR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS ELECTRONIC STUFF. I just took the risk on one person's recommendation that I use the seymour duncan for a bridge pickup.

2. I've also read that the Bartolini Rickenbacker bridge replacement can be used as a drop-in replacement, or close to it; in fact, I've been strongly considering doing that myself with a Will Power neck.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  4. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    take a cheap wilkinson firebird-style mini humbucker! Way better than the stock pickup! and cheap!

bazzanderson likes this.
  5. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I am thinking of changing my bridge pickup. I just added a Model One DiMarzio pickup with a 3 way toggle switch for series parallel and single coil settings. I love the pickup but hate the Bridge pickup. I am pretty sure it was put there to add highs the original mudbucker, but is now useless with the DP120.

Seymour duncan rickenbacker neck pickup
    ND3-MHB
    Bartolini Replacement Pickups for Rickenbacker 4001
    PU-0419-010
    [DEL]DiMarzio Vintage Minibucker[/DEL]
    Wilkinson WMHR AlNiCo V Mini Humbucker Pickup-P90

This is what I think might work.
    The ND3-MHB is supposed to be a drop in but pricy.

10440548776_dd60d1aee9_c.
    2013-10-23 08.56.45 by radiorobert, on Flickr

10226178396_a9834f36a0_c.
    2013-10-12 09.17.24 by radiorobert, on Flickr

6. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    bbao,

Did the seymour duncan pickup fit inside the old pickup?

7. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    the wilkinson drops right in! it has blades so no pole spacing issues

bazzanderson likes this.
  8. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Witch Wilkinson?
    The one I have a link to on ebay?

9. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I emailed DiMarzio about the DP241 and they replied.

"Sorry, but this isn’t a good choice. We do not make a 4-string bass pickup that is a direct replacement for the original EB3 bridge pickup."

So that's out.

10. bbao

bbao

Oct 14, 2013
    hey radiorob, sorry about not replying sooner. My net has been bad lately. Anyway, it was generally a perfect fit, I had to slightly bend the metal part where you screw down but only very slightly. To clarify, it fits inside the black ring that comes with stock eb3 bridge pickups.

How is the model one by the way? I'm really keen on getting my will power pickup.

11. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    The SMB-1,2 & 3's are available in nickel finish>FYI. The 2's & 3's are 4 conductor for splitting as well...

12. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Do you have a link?

13. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I played a Halloween show Last night with this bass and I learned something about the Model One pickup in the neck position. Its very boomy with lots if not to much bottom.
    It took me almost the whole gig to find a good setting on my amp. Turns out I had to lower the bass and crank the mids. I still haven't replaced the bridge pickup yet.
    The whole reason I swapped out the neck pickup was for more bottom end and a hotter pickup. Be carful what you wish for.

14. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I got the Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker neck pickup for the bridge.
    I find it sounds best to me wired in single coil away from the bridge.
    I also have the Model One pickup on a toggle with a single coil option. The single coil is the one away from the neck.
    The Ric pickup has way more bottom than the stock and could be used by itself I suppose. But together it sounds way better.
    I used the springs that were on the stock pickup and had to bend in the tabs a bit. But as you can see it fit in perfect.

10718970103_a0a4ca10b7_c.
    2013-11-06 21.05.03 by radiorobert, on Flickr

ProgressiveDoom and bazzanderson like this.
  15. bbao

bbao

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm glad you don't have troubles with it! Do you think it was a worthy upgrade?

I'm not sure about my bass at the moment though. My brother recently installed a dimarzio Will power on my eb3 but for some reason, when I switch between the neck and bridge pickup, the ric pickup has much less output than the dimarzio. Is this the same with you and your bass?

Maybe I just need to increase my ric pickup's height, who knows.

16. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    It depends on how he wired the Will Power. If its in series, the pickup is way louder than if it were in parallel.
    On my Bass the only difference on volume is the big drop in the bottom end between neck and bridge pickup. But that's to be expected.
    I also have a switch to go from series or parallel.
    Was it a worthy upgrade? It was expensive but not the most expensive of the options. To make the bass playable to me made it worth it.

17. How would you describe the sound of the Seymour Duncan? Is it like the stock bridge but more powerful with more bottom, or is it a different beast altogether?

18. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Its not like the stock at all but is also limited because of its position so close to the bridge. Sort of like a jazz bridge pickup soloed would sound.
    Remember I have mine as a single coil away from the bridge. I tried it as a true humbucker and it had to much honk sound.
    Together is where there's a huge improvement. When the neck pickup is in parallel.or single coil.

bazzanderson likes this.
  19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Pretty much ANY guitar mini humbucker with blades or 6 poles will work just fine