1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New EON for bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by RShew, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
  2. I've got 2 . Initially bought to piss off my neighbors with loud music, they worked for this purpose exceedingly well. In search of a more portable bass amp I decided to try one out. I use mine for small gigs and practices when I don't want to haul a rig. The sound by itself is generic and nowhere near as inspiring as my GK or Mesa rigs. This can be fixed.

The sound of the Eon is allright when plugging a bass straight in. When used with a direct box ( I like a SansAmp) it's a pretty dern nice rig. Not quite enough IMO to hold up well with a loud drummer and a half stacked gui**** but adequate for many other situations

I love my Eons when it's just me and an acoustic guitarist/vocalist. The full range sound rocks it all and one speaker can do an small indoor gig very well. It gets lost outdoors pretty quickly.

I see that this is in double bass forums.... I'm retarded. As above with this exception. I believe this will serve you well as sound reinforcement, however, I find the highs put out by the tweeter to be a bit harsh. This can be dialed off with the treble control on board. Good to Go

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I used to run through one at a rehearsal a couple of years back (it lived in the rehearsal space). It sounded decent with a mic, but the impedance was all wrong for a piezo pickup, so you'd need a preamp, preferably something with EQ, since this unit basically has none. Also, looking at the specs, it says it has a preset HP filter set at 120 Hz, which sounds kind of high. The fact that it's a 15" might compensate for that a bit.

4. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah -- the new EONS look very nice.

I own one of the 2nd generation G2 15's and it kicks major booty. It is an awesome pa speaker and I use a cheapo Peavey mixer in front and it's clean a whistle.

As the above poster mentioned, the sound is quite bland for use with a pickup (even with a decent pre) but running a mic through it is killer.

I'm not brave enough to attempt a "mic only" setup -- but when I have to haul this thing to gigs where I need a sound system -- I always love the sound of mic'ing my upright through it (in addition to my regular amp setup).

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    These new EON's look great.
    Only 32 lbs! JBL publishes full specs including frequency charts. You won't find this with normal bass gear.

I have the previous G2's, which work great for DB or Slabs with modeling.
    But they do need a pre-amp for best results. I always carry a small mixer. Vocalist like this for reverb.

The "low cut" switch is for when you use it with the sub. They also released a new model EON sub, which paired with one of these would hold it's own against any big rig.

JBL did the same confusing thing with these new models where they have a lower performance model that look exactly the same as the high performance models. Most people who shun the EONs have probably played through the cheaper ones which are miles apart from the top models.

6. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Cool. I'll have to swing into a store and try it out. Thanks for the heads up about a preamp. I will start reading up on those now. I'm interested in getting rid of the bass amp. After seeing Larry Grenadier with a mic only in so many scenario's I am anxious to try it out. I use a Focus w/mic now and I am getting good results but not enough gain.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    If you do, please report back. I use a Focus w/ a mic too, but like you said on some gigs I have to blend in a pickup in order to balance with the rest of the band. If these things somehow provide more useable mic volume before the mic squeals, I'm interested. Plus the whole PA multi-purpose thing.

8. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It may be a while till I am able to get my bass to Guitar Center. I guess they would have one? I will let you know when I do and the results. This rig would actually be easier to carry around and operate than the AI/Wizzy M-line IMO. I have seen Larry numerous times now with this set up and I can hear him clear as a bell standing next to loud drummers (or at least very active dynamic drummers).

9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Do you know what kind of mic Larry was using?

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Cool. Likewise, I am equally capable of finding a GC. :oops: If I do make the trek, I'll share what I learn here.

P.S. Since Larry Grenadier's name has shown up several times, some might find this interesting.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Check this out, (then scroll back up to the top), where it says:

"Larry has, except in the loudest band settings, stopped using a pickup and conventional bass amplifier. He has invested in a really good microphone, a Schoeps CMC6 with a supercardiod capsule and the aptly named FMR Audio 'Really Nice Preamp'. His rider specifies that the producer provide him with a Mackie SRM450 and a tripod stand so that he can put the speaker near ear level."​

Does using a mic pre like this increase useable volume before the mic squeals w/ feedback, or just sweeten the sound? The speaker is behind him in the pic, thus the mic is in front, and therefore would (to me) be more susceptible to feeding back.

Ha ha - notice the H-clamp too. :p

12. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    More info. Not quite as current as my previous post and the associated link, but there are many similarities. From the November 2007 BP:

"Combination of Schertler DYN-B pickup and Schoeps CMC 5 supercardioid mic fed into an FMR Audio RNP8380 preamp and then a Mackie Series 12-channel mixer; Live, Larry prefers a Mackie SRM350 1x12 powered monitor placed on a high stand 'so it's right in my ear.'" ​