1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fender Select Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Jan 3, 2012.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I haven't seen this posted here yet and just read the article by bass player. You can check it out here:

BassPlayer: Fender Select Precision and Jazz Basses

Looks kinda like the old Fotoflame stuff.

P bass:
    [​IMG]

J bass:
    [​IMG]

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
  3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
  4. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not sure I've ever played a compound-radius bass. What other bass has that. And what's good (or not good) about it?

5. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    You probably have... it's just not that "different" If you've played a warmoth neck, you've played a compound radius

it's simply a radius that flattens out the higher you go on the neck.

[​IMG]

6. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks. I know all about radiuses (radii?), just couldn't recall one that does the compound thing. But, like you say, probably have played one, just didn't know it.

7. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    The compound radius supposedly cuts down on the buzzing that commonly occurs when bending strings closer to the bridge. I experience that on my 7.5" if I adjust the action too low above the 12th fret, but I don't really need the action that low to begin with. Nice looking instruments, and I'll keep an eye out for one to test drive.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Jacksons the big name mfg whose been doing compound radius necks for decades. For both guitars and basses. This is a big change for fender.

9. They do remind me slightly of the old foto-flame basses. Even though figured/exotic tops has never really been Fender's forte,they should've been offering these for years by now.

I remember back in the day,if you ran across a Fender Bass with heavy flame on the neck,people would shy away from them.

10. Damn! $3,200.00 MSRP They could at least offer more colors. It's a damn shame when they put a 'guard over a beautiful piece of wood.

11. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    Meh...

I'm still waiting for a P bass with rosewood fretboard, white/cream binding and pearloid block inlays... (I really like it, but I dont like jazz necks! :bag:)

12. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Could never afford it, but it sure looks nice.

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    For $3200 I'll have a custom made.

14. The price is ridiculous! Fender have lost the plot... Chinese basses first now THIS ? - Fender Japan are on the money so are the evil geniuses at Squier... I still love a good Fender... but it's time to move on... I've come full circle, playing the brand I used as a beginner 15 years ago... Yamaha...

15. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    That P-bass is sexy. But not for that price!

16. Is that the actual price or the MSRP which is always insanely inflated for instruments?

17. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    All Nordstrand basses.

18. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    its the MSRP, guys its not going be $3200 on MF or at Guitar Center. These are going be probably around $2300 is my guess still pricey but man that finish is purdy

19. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I'll pass. They look cool, but the neck specs turn me off.

20. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Blocks are a jazz bass thing. I wouldn't wait too long before going to Warmoth.