1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW FROM AVATAR!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Just got off phone with dave. he willsoon be offering a 115 and a full range 115,110 w/tweeter. these will be in 4 and 8ohm. his plan is the 115/110 to be under $400 about the same as the 212. I CAN,T FREAKIN WAIT TO GET ONE OF THESE CABS!..

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    NICE~ I'm wondering if it has a 3-way crossover, or if the 15 and 10 will be run 'full range'~ COOL!:hyper: An Avatar Triad!

3. That would be my question, plus I wonder if the 15 will kinda "overpower" the 10 (if that makes sense)...

I'm curious.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wish he would use the Alphalite 6 cbmr instead of the 10 :) doh.

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Excellent news! I've been hoping for years that he would bring back the Ix15 and I'm interested to see this 15-110 cab as well.

Did he say when? I was on his site yesterday and there was nothing about them on there yet.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If the 10 is crossed over properly no. THere are plenty of 10s out there that would suffice as a midrange for a 3015LF for example. Just poor off-axis response :(

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been hoping and harassing dave for a vertical narrow 2x12 from Avatar for quite a while, but I gave up. Went with TC Cabinets and am happy.

8. Not the only one... A budget minded 3 way aimed towards the miniheads power output(200-300 watts / 8 ohms) would sell like hotcakes to the Talkbass crowd at least. Apporach the $400 range and it would sell well.

9. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    He said they're in vacation mode right now but this should be very soon. i did mention to him about the feraful 15/6 love on here.

10. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    This is interesting but I think I still want to do the 2x10 and 2x12 combo :idea:

11. When I spoke to him weeks ago, I seem to recall him saying it would be a 3 way cab.

I mentioned the "Fearful" also, and suggested he could use a 6" or 8" instead of a 10"

For some reason, he is set on using a 10. Will have to wait and see how it turns out.

12. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Did he mention size on the single 15?

13. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    not sure on height but will stack with his other cabs as far as width and depth, i would say a little taller than the 112.sound like the 15/10 will be the size of the 212.

14. HariKari

HariKari

Feb 21, 2005
    Payson, Utah
  15. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I'm guessing he wants to go with speakers he can source from his existing stock or suppliers? Ordering a bunch of 6" or 8" mid drivers and then not having the cab sell well (because it is 'different') will result in a lot of hard-to-move product.

Sucks, but it's a wise business move. I wonder how many orders and how much money LDS has made off of 15/6-style cab builds?

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The alphalite 6cbmrs are high quality standard drivers that would work well, and are also easy to work with since they're closed backed. Definitely how I'd go.

He could even probably get away with using a standard eminence crossover instead of a much lower custom one.

17. Hopefully it'sa guitar 10 then, with a real 3 way xover... that might be a nice compromise.

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If he were to use a bass 10" and a guitar 15"...now THAT would be an interesting sounding cabinet.

I wish people would buy more 110 cabs...but then the MojoSonics would have to compete with Avatar...so for the sake of a great cab maybe I shouldn't wish for a low priced 110 cab on the market.

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    The 3-way will get my attention.

20. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Mine too. Hoo boy