1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new gibson and epiphone basses coming out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 23, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    well, i already know two gibsons that are coming out soon. but i was wondering if anyone knows anything about any other basses that gibson is putting out soon. and also do you have any idea if any new epiphones are going to come out or not??

2. So what is Gibson coming out with soon?

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Whoever manages Gibson's bass R&D must have pictures of the CEO in compromising positions with farm animals. Unreal how poorly they have managed that entire portfolio over the last decade (and more).

I think I could do a better job. Seriously, what is "new" in the last 10 years?

SG Reissue? Wow! How groundbreaking! Copy something exact to how it was released 40+ years ago. Sorry, there is "new" writing on the trussrod cover!

LP Money Bass? How cutting edge! Cut out an upper horn on a standard LP bass.

A TBird with fancy woods? Crazy!:spit::D

Seriously, I love older Gibson basses but they really do need to come up with some completely new ideas.

I really hope they do come up with some cool new stuff. Better not be a "robot" SG Reissue,, Money bass, or TBird.....:p:D

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1000

let those fools bring out some REAL bass body/neck combos that HAVE NOT BEEN re-used for the past 30 years !!!

you think Gibson would EVER make a BC-RICH looking bass ---hahaha NOT.

or better yet "new for 2009" tbird made from LUCITE!!!!!

5. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    actually I think the OP is talking about the 5 string versions of the same old 40 year old stuff.

oh and BTW, what has FENDER done lately beyond reissuing every damn year bass since electric solid bodies came out...( if they keep up their trend, they will run out of re-issue dates somewhere around 2050 )

these 2 companies could care less about a possible line of basses OR guitars that won't sell, and stick with what WILL SELL despite the prices us end users have to pay...

did you ever wonder why so many SMALL companies are doing so well making their own?

just like my previous post, will I ever see the day when FENDER OR GIBSON comes out "new for 2015" a bass that looks like a Warlock? ---naaaaa

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Gibson could at least reissue an RD, RD Artist, Ripper, or something else that was actually cool from their past.

7. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Les Paul Recording Bass, please!

jackcassruce likes this.
  8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I agree that Gibson has been less than innovative over the past 30 years or so.

But what has Fender come out with in the past 20 years that's new or revolutionary?

9. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

G&L :bag:

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Nothing, like the rest of the big companies... they keep making what sells with minimal modifications.

However fender did put the jaguar bass in 34" and while it isnt any innovative it is not a P or a J shape.

11. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    This isn't a Gibson vs. Fender topic so.......let it go.

12. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

Let's here one GOOD reason why Fender should change. They have a product that is in demand and sells well. I hope I NEVER see the day when Fender or Gibson comes out with anything even remotely resembling a Warlock. You want something like that, get a BC Rich, don't expect Fender or Gibson to make it because they won't.

Now, as for Gibson, they could stand to do something a bit different with their bass line because it never caught on as well as Fender's bass line.

Oh, and Fender won't run out of reissue dates because in 2030 they'll reissue the 2004 Jazz and Precision with the S1 switch.:D

13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I meant Fender the company, not Leo himself.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    They should reissue the Grabber! That'd be killer

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    What are the new basses?

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Exactly!

:D

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    If what you quote its right we should start grabbing good basses now imagine the business when the reissue the S1! oh my we could sell a turd with strings that had better Qality than those!

18. At least the Fender Basses were distinct and instruments in theuir own right, the EB0/3 series were just SG rip offs as was the epihphone a copy of the 335 type model, these came out some 45 years ago not 30.

19. :D

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Back in the late 60's (or was it the early 70's? It all kinda runs together) I was at a guy's house in Baton Rouge, and he brought out a walnut and black LP recording bass. It was serial number 0001! He said that Gibson was trying to buy it back from him, but he wasn't selling.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. On another forum, a guy said that he had had a Gibson LP recording bass, serial number 0001. He was from Baton Rouge, too, but we established that he wasn't the guy who originally showed it to me, although it was indeed the same bass. I asked him what happened to the bass, and he said he tried to change out the pickups on it, botched the job, and eventually threw it away.

:atoz: