New Gibson Basses - Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattBrooklyn, Jun 13, 2022.

1. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    Hi all, long-time player, first-time poster! I am interested in getting a short scale bass, and have always wanted a Gibson. But I can't find any to play at a retail store. I'll sometimes see an Epiphone, but that's not common, and not what I ultimately want.

Have Gibson basses always been tough to find? Is this a pandemic-related delay in the supply chain? A Gene Simmons conspiracy to crowd the new Gibson space with only his signature basses?

I'm looking for SGs and LP Jr, but open to others, as well as a quality vintage buy - but extremely hesitant to buy anything online without first playing it. Thanks! Matt

gcb, Pyrat, PennyroyalWe and 4 others like this.
  2. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It's a conspiracy!!!! LOL

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm no help whatsoever with answering your question. Just swung by to say welcome to TalkBass! Hope yih find what you're looking for.

4. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    ;)

5. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    well the play it first thing is where you're going to have trouble. Gotta dive in sometimes and choose a retailer that does returns...past that, not sure what to tell you. I'm waiting on the next batch of V's :smug:

Buster Brown likes this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    @MattBrooklyn where are you located? I want to guess Brooklyn, but don't want to make any assumptions. :D I ask because where I'm from there are eleventy jillion Gibson basses at each dealer. I'm in Canada, so it's not like wide variety is a common thing here either. The only maker more available around here is Fender. :)

Engle, ctmullins and MattBrooklyn like this.

7. Yeah I agree....you can find Gibsons on sites like Sweetwater or American Musical Supply - but as for trying them first, if you don't have any in your local stores - well, join the club...

Welcome Aboard!!

8. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    Yeah, you might be right! Thankfully (and unfortunately), there is no shortage of Sam Ash or Guitar Center in the NYC area, and I believe I can order and then return in-store. And while Gibson is reintroducing some Vs, ask them to reissue some Grabbers and Rippers too!

9. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    I'll check out those sites as well - thanks!!

10. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    Yes, I'm in Brooklyn! Where in Canada are you? I'll actually be in the Vancouver area next month. Does a bass count as a carry-on? :)

PennyroyalWe and Beej like this.
  11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'm in Victoria, which physically is close to Vancouver, but not worth the ferry travel over to the island unless it's for a good reason haha :laugh:

Engle and MattBrooklyn like this.
  12. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    A few years back, the DC basses were getting blown out, and now they are getting more than what they sold for.

I think Gibson basses are just a small part of the market, and given the epidemic of bass hoarding... In addition, there aren't always a ton of Gibson retailers in a given area.

You can sometimes find a good one online if you know how to check for which years are special. It might be worth a shot. I bought a 2005 SG bass online, and I love it so.

RustfeatherBass and MattBrooklyn like this.
  13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    New Gibson basses aren't common for most dealers unless they're actually an authorized Showroom (most places don't do enough volume in sales or have the ability to purchase enough to qualify) , you'll have to either visit a larger place like CME for example to see much new inventory.
    Here are their current offerings, were I shopping for a new Gibson bass I'd purchase through Sweetwater as they do a decent set up and QC check - well worth it.
    Gibson | Explore The Bass Collections

I purchased a 2021 Non Reverse Thunderbird, it's a very solid bass, nicely finished new pickups that sound a lot like vintage ones.

[​IMG]

Sandman64, bobba66, icefly and 12 others like this.
  14. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    I believe we are planning a visit to Victoria as well. I have some friends that live there and always wanted to visit - so maybe I'll see if I can slip into a store while there - thanks!

Beej likes this.
  15. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    Very cool - if you have a cheat sheet for the good years, I'll take it - thanks!!

16. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
    Beautiful bass - enjoy!!

17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Cool! It is certainly paradise here, and a bit surprising to find it in Canada. :D If you make it here, check out Long and McQuade as they have the Gibson offerings. Over in Vancouver, you'll also find them at L&M there (huge chain in Canada), but they have a much larger flagship store in Van. There's also the Tom Lee Music flagship store on Granville in downtown Vancouver but it's been a few years since I've been there so not sure on the current offerings. :)

MattBrooklyn and TBird1958 like this.
  18. friedlbug

friedlbug Supporting Member

I love my LP jr DC. Stores around me have nothing in terms of bass selection above entry level stuff. Mom and pop, GC, any of them. You pretty much have to order online, unfortunately, but you can usually return them if needed.

Jeff Hughes and MattBrooklyn like this.
  19. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Look for the years you rarely see on ebay or Reverb. Stay away from the years where there are tons. And of course, some of those plentiful years can also have standouts. That is when finding one with a ton of wear can be a sign of a special instrument that someone loved to play. I just found a 2007 standard on ebay for 1650. A bit steep, but they are out there. That is one of the years that is a little more hard to find.

Having looked at SG basses for the past 20 years, I can honestly say that the worst one I ever played was used from the 70s maybe. It was so weird and blocky to play. But I rarely ever saw them used for that matter.

There were a lot of satin SG basses with dot necks in the 2007-2014 range I think. The 2014s have a special 12th fret inlay that I never cared for, but maybe you don't mind. Satin or faded as they call it is not really my jam either.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  20. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Music Zoo on Long Island ususally has a few. You can call ahead to let them know you are coming and they will pull them from stock for you to try if they aren't on the sales floor already.