New Gibson Basses - Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattBrooklyn, Jun 13, 2022.

1. RustfeatherBass

RustfeatherBass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    I have a 2014 sg special and had a 2015 standard and must say, the modern SG basses have a nice full range sound, unlike the old mubuckers of yore :)

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  2. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Definitely try before you buy. I bought a used SG bass off guitar center, played it for three days before I returned it. It sound good, looked great, but I couldn’t jive with the neck profile and balance of the thing. I would love to try out a DC jr bass, but like you, I’ve never seen one IRL.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  3. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    This is a little off topic, but I wish Gibson still made a wide variety of basses.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  4. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Lots of Gibson basses in stores in my area. They are selling very poorly and once they're in stock they seem to stay there forever.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  5. badinage

badinage Supporting Member

May 25, 2021
    I want a original dark-burst EB2d or better yet a genuine Gibson repro (with a 32" scale... I can dream).

I have a SIL who paid $6000 for a pink leather couch and another $2500 for what looked like a "purple bowling-ball-on-a-pedestal" to go in the same room. ;) so... Hey: call it "art" and it's all good.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  6. you can shop online for specific stores with sam ash or guitar center. Just keep checking until they get one.

MattBrooklyn and badinage like this.
  7. Pyrat

Pyrat Supporting Member

COOL GrandPopps.jpg I say GO FOR IT!! I have owned every kind of bass in my 4+ decades playing and never tried an EB/SG. I bought an Epiphone EB-0(h!) a little while back and it blew me away...so comfortable and REAL bottom end but not mud. After a couple of months the bug got me and I HAD to have a Gibson. I don't hate my Fender stable but they ARE getting dusty. LOVE, love, LOVE this bass~

8. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    It is too bad they don't reissue the SG bass with the 60s style electronics. That would probably sell very well even though I personally dislike tone switches. The added weight of the chickenhead knob and extra potentiometer might aid in the neck dive somewhat.

I have converted my own SG bass to master volume, blend, and tone knobs with a Novak in the bridge and 22 capacitor. Thumb bleeders all around, a bass bar on the bridge, and an after market ebony thumbrest on the headstock side of the bridge pup.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    With all the price rises over the last two years, it's harder for dealers to stock the US lines compared to the import lines. Look at G&L...the US models are now almost all custom orders, while Tributes line the walls in music stores.

I took a look at what Sweetwater is stocking:

US Gibson basses start at $999 for the LP Jr., jump to $1799 for the SG and then to $2199 for non-reverse T-birds. Other than the $2799 Gene Simmons, no reverse T-birds at all???? No 5 strings, either.

In the Epi line, the SG E1 (EB-0) at $289 is the cheapest and the most expensive is the Casady at $799 and no 5 strings.

Compare that to Fender's pricing...Squiers from $179 to $599 with a number of 5 string options. Skipping Custom Shop, the US basses run from $1499 to $2399 and imports from $849 to $1499 (includes Artist) again with many 5 string options.

$1000 may be today's entry point into US made basses, but it's still a lot of scratch when the same company offers imports below $500.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    MattBrooklyn and sloppy_phil like this.
  10. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Pics of the bass or it doesn't exist. LOL!

11. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I personally don't think Gibson has any good offerings in the bass department. If you're wanting the Gibson sound without the Gibson issues, I'd take a look at the Reverend Dub King.

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  12. Still waiting for the Rex Brown Thunderbird (Gibson Talent Series).
    Next year is also the T'bird's 60th anniversary. They did gold for the 50th anniversary (see below), so they should follow that up with a white model for the 60th anniversary. Let's see.
    Gibson Thunderbird 50th Anniversary Bass.jpg

bobyoung53, Gaolee, Goatrope and 2 others like this.
  13. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    More for us that know.... DSCN2162.JPG DSCN2829.JPG DSCN2840.JPG DSCN2859.JPG DSCN3623.JPG IMG_0672.jpeg

bobyoung53, cemunk, Gaolee and 6 others like this.
  14. MattBrooklyn

MattBrooklyn

Jun 13, 2022
  15. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
  16. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want something a little extra special check out Chicago Music Exchange Gibson SG Exclusive in Pelham Blue or Olive Drab. I think CME has a decent return policy but I’m not 100 % sure.

Gibson | CME Exclusive SG Arrivals

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    MattBrooklyn likes this.
  17. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    those blue ones are already sold out, only olive drab left

MattBrooklyn likes this.
  18. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I recently got a 100 dollar refund from CME for the neck binding issue on these...or lack of neck binding issue LOL:roflmao: Also glad i got my olive sg at the 1599 price before that jacked up another 200... man these days, gotta jump on what you want before it goes up 200-500 dollars every 6 months

BigDrew and MattBrooklyn like this.
  19. evs

evs

Apr 14, 2020
    The LP DC Junior Tribute is such a great bass!
    Tone, playability, balance

Pyrat and MattBrooklyn like this.
  20. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Gibson switched to the NR's and aren't currently making reverse T-Birds. The new NR is a really nice bass though I got one last year for $1799. They sound enormous and the fretboards have a 12" radius, very fast neck. You get used to the reach pretty quickly.

Thunderbird II.jpg

BigDrew, Sandman64, Goatrope and 3 others like this.