1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new head or cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dpwchanel, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dpwchanel

dpwchanel

Apr 28, 2009
    hey so i'm franticly on a search for a MO' BASS or a MINI MO' head and i'm falling in love with it more and more (could be because they are so rare to come accross so the rareness makes me want it more. . . ) but yea i'm on a search for one of those and i started thinkin to myself, do i buy a nice head first or should i get a nice cab first ????? i kinda know what cab i would get not what brand but i would go with a 6x10 cab cause i like them so much (correct me if i'm dumb on wanting a 6x10) but thats what i'm leaning towards. right now i play through a behringer 300 watt head the ultrabass series and the 4x10 behringer cab(cheapest i could find at the time so i spent 350 on the whole setup i know i know i know behringer ughghh) and i play through my bnx3 bass workstation pedal . and my basses are as follows a no name acoustic 5 string, a jackson 5 string, a warwick thumb bolt 5 string on i think its a 98???? and i also sometimes play around on my full scale 8 string bass (the neck is like 7 inches wide pretty crazy) so now you know my current equipment and my wants now could you please give me your imput thanks !!!!!:hyper:

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I would wait for the mo bass so your able to jump on that when one comes available then get the nice cab.

3. smithal3

smithal3

Apr 18, 2009
    If you had to pick one, I would normally suggest upgrading the cab first. The cabinet is the actual piece which physically moves the air. This is what is going to make the largest difference. However, your 300watt Behringer head is pretty bad too (I'm not hating on you for having it (I have the 450watt version of the same head)) so you may actually want to consider upgrading the head first.

As an owner of a Behringer cab, I would say this - If you have the BA410 then upgrade your cabinet first. But if you have the BB410, which actually sounds a bit better, then I would upgrade your head first.

That is what I am doing. I have a BB115 cabinet (w/450 watt head) and I am getting the GK1001RB head first, and AFTER I get that, I'll upgrade my cabinet.

4. dpwchanel

dpwchanel

Apr 28, 2009
    yea i have the bb410 no way i would go with the aluminum speakers. i think as soon as i can ever find a mo' or mini mo' (i know what your thinkin i doubt that he ever will) i will snatch it up as fast as i can. anybody know what 6x10 i should go with?? mesa has one, swr, ampeg and i'm sure alot other companys have em but what should i get?? anyone have experience with the 6x10?? i know mesa has a prettyy big cab with 4x10 and a 15 all in one enclosure should i go for a combination cab? anyones info would be greatly appreciated i wish i know more about gear and stuff but everyone has to learn somehow why not learn from some professionals right :)

5. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    the head will give you tone, the cab will move the air.

depends on the priority of upgrading, doesn't it? if you need better tone before more volume then upgrade the head first, if you need more volume first then get the cab first.