1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Kappalites

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Just got word from Eminence as far as 3 new Kappalite 10's announced at Namm.

" You will be happy to know that we have just released three new 10" neo drivers in our Kappalite Series. It may be too late for your newest cabinet, but you may want to keep it in mind for future builds. We have a Kappalite 3010LF with 9mm of Xmax, the Kappalite 3010MB with 6mm of Xmax, and the Kappalite 3010HO with 4mm of Xmax. I don't know if any of those interest you or not, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind for future stuff.

Looks very interesting!

2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Excellent news. The X max pretty much matches the 12 inch (on the LF) - shame they did not release an MB version of the 3012.

I will be looking in to these for future builds.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Some 210 fEARfulls in the offing, Greenboy ? :D

4. I say, jump straight to the 410 and 810! :hyper:

5. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    or the 110 if you like compact!

I would guess using the MB driver, a small combo would be hard to beat. Just taking a guess, I would suspect the HO to go at least to 5 kHz, the MB to around 3.5 kHz and the LF to 2.5 kHz. Based on previous models, expect a rising response from upper mid to HF. I would also guess around 94 dB/W LF, 97 dB/W MB and 99 dB/W HO.

Anyone have specs available yet?

Kappas tend to be higher power so I would suspect 300W to 400W range. That's one monster small combo... or a super monster fridge!

6. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Nothing has been posed on their website yet.

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thats great but, if they are going to be $200 each, who cares?

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Would a 210 fearful have any advantage over a 12/6?

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    When the early protos of the 3010LF came to light earlier this year, there was a discussion on the fEARful message board (its still there if anyone would care to look). I think it was mostly decided that at best it was a dubious 'trade off' to do a 10" fEARful. I wouldn't look for a 'fEARful' branded 4x10 or 8x10 anytime soon, as the standard designs of these cabs are pretty antithetical to what a fEARful is design and tone wise and what it does. If you're talking about a vertically oriented 10" stack, you might as well consider some of the other designs.

I know there's been some work done into the fearLESS range of cabinets, centered around an 8" driver, but the mysterious Greenboy has been keeping his plans to himself after all the rough-handling of his work here and by other builders.

10. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Great news, finally something better then the Deltalite 2510 II.
    I definitely want to try the 3010LF in my superior 2x10 with 8" coaxial driver. Still running the Oberton 10B200 in them which until now can not be topped by other tens when it comes to low distortion with extended xmax. The 9mm xmax of the 3010LF will probably give me a maxspl gain of 2dB, not much but maybe worth it.

11. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    According to the Eminence website, I was not far off with the LF and MB although this one does not have much of a rising response but nice and flat to 3+ kHz - no word on the HO yet?

12. I added the PDF from the Eminence site to my spread sheet.
    These are interesting drivers, sort of.

The 10LF isn't much of a bass driver, and certainly not a subwoofer.
    The best F3 it gets is about 69 Hz in either Flat or Qb3.
    The published and calculated (low) sensitivity is about 92, same as the BP102-8.

BP102 has a low F3 and big box. 3010LF has a high F3 and a tiny box.
    The very strong Bl might be useful in a horn.
    Performance-wise, 3010LF appears to be just a beefed-up S2010, but at 2x the weight.

Using the PDF specs, I'm surprised the 3010LF weighs as much as it does.
    At 7.6 pounds it is only slightly less than the BP102-8 at 8.9 pounds.
    Since these are v1.0 specs, perhaps there are errors.

13. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    :bag:

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For convenience....

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3010LF

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3010MB

Don't see anything on the HO there. The LF sort of looks like a glorified BP-102. Was really expecting more spl out of that. At least some 94-95db....little closer to the 12LF. It would take multiples of those to get output. Unless you're looking for a little restaraunt gig cab with massive low end. The MB (midbass?) would need a huge box for a 10 to reach deep enough for bass use.

Not to poo-poo too much but these things aren't what I expected. May have better attributes for PA use but not so much bass cabs. I would think you'd get a better overall result in a bass cab using stuff that's already out there. Maybe I'm missing something.

15. Depends on your goals. Light, small loud cab? Might be worth the extra coin.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

I didn't notice the 1 volt qualifier there, that changes things.

17. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    +1, make that +2

Entirely useless for a bass cab. Not sure what their intended use might be, but it sure isn't a being everybody's answer to high performance 10" bass cabs.....

They say, you can have only 2 out of "low, loud and small".... those speakers achieve only the "small", not low and certainly not lound..... :eek: :meh:

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    To be honest, I didn't dig into these things anywhere near as deep as bgavin has, pretty much just saw the spl chart and dismissed it right away. I assumed the LF went deep for giving up all that output but apparently it doesn't.

The MB looked to have good output and excursion, so I got as far as the cab design page. The biggest one they did, 1.75 cu.ft. for a single 10, still rolls off at 80-some hz. Common 210's are around 2cu.ft. net.

I don't know enough about horns and line arrays and stuff to know if they have advantages there.

19. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    The Kappalites were designed with the pro audio market in mind and were not designed specifically to be bass cabinet drivers.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This. Its easy for people to forget that first and foremost the KL series were intended for pro-audio PA use and we bass players have co-opted them for our own use. :D