New Markbass Vintage Pre

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Jan 20, 2020.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am not sure how it works. I am not sure it is 50/50, because in my mind when I would connect 2 (non connected) cables, it should in theory drop the volume by 50% if that was the case. I am just not knowledgeable about how that stuff works, but in my opinion they should have either made it series (when cables connected, it would insert the loop in the linear signal chain) or made it semi-parallel with a blend knob to blend or favor one signal or the other or blend the 2 chains. There are dudes that get it better than me, so there may be a good reason for it, but it seems silly to me.

2. I don't know why Markbass does this. They do it on their amps too. I get the benefit if your loop has an issue but that's no reason to basically cripple the loop in the first place. IMO the loop is pointless if you can't control the dry/wet. Either make it 100% wet (like ever single other loop I've dealt with) or provide a control.

I assumed a serial loop and I have had my compressor in it for a while now. It seemed to be working fine. Obviously if it is in fact parallel that won't do. I need to do some experimentation.

Hopefully markbass has a jumper or something that can switch it to serial. I was able to convert my MoMark to serial that way.

3. Buck Dutt

Buck Dutt

Aug 3, 2020
    Rome, Italy
    Wow, I'm gonna have to contact Markbass about this directly I guess. I got this months ago as the first step of building up my pedal chain, with the goal of using the DI for home recording. So if this is how the effects loop works, then it looks like I wasted ~€400 on this thing.

4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I replied to the support email and told them it did not make sense and to jump on this thread and explain. Not sure they will, but worth a try.
    You could get an effects loop pedal like the BOSS Line Selector. It is not really the same thing, but perhaps it could give you an option.

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  5. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
  6. Buck Dutt

Buck Dutt

Aug 3, 2020
    Rome, Italy
    I just emailed them as well. In my mind the purpose of a preamp +DI with an effects loop would be to have the signal go totally through the preamp (gain, distortion, EQ, everything) then 100% through the effects loop, and then finally out through volume control to the DI. Why on earth would anyone want it the way they have it now (effect is parallel blend 50/50 and then after goes into the EQ)? To me it 100% defeats the purpose of the effects loop. My only other option is to run my whole pedal chain first and then finally into the Markbass. But then I missing out on the gain coloration and the distortion and EQ of the preamp being able to go into the pedals as I want (ie. I want to have the compressor after being processed by the Markbass, not before).

7. I highly doubt you'll get them to jump on here.. but if you do happen to get a response please let us know... :)

8. I agree completely.. I wanted to put my compressor in the loop in order to avoid the whole input/output level control dance that I would have to do every time I adjust gain or wanted more output out of the preamp. I have things in my chain that follow the preamp and I just want one single output control to deal with it and I don't want to think about how that impacts my compressor and blah blah blah blah. It's just simpler.

There HAS to be a jumper inside to adjust this if in fact it is parallel.

And thinking about this further it kinda is pissing me off that they didn't include this bit of tech info for those of us looking to buy it. They certainly had plenty of time between announcement and when it was actually orderable to fill us in.

King David likes this.
  9. Buck Dutt

Buck Dutt

Aug 3, 2020
    Rome, Italy
    100% agree about this.

King David likes this.
  10. Yeah, I think they bunged up their reply. I have an 1176 compressor in the effects loop. If I turn down the output of the compressor, I get no sound through the pedal. Turn it up and the entire pedal's sound rises.

11. Buck Dutt

Buck Dutt

Aug 3, 2020
    Rome, Italy
    I got a reply from my email:

“thanks for writing and for choosing Markbass.

Yes, the fx loop is in parallel.
    This means that it's 50/50 dry/wet signal, and this configuration is perfect for modulation effect like chorus, reverb, delay, etc.
    Effects that need a direct tracking/serial signal like envelope, octaver, compressor, synth can be used directly to the input of the preamp.
    Having a fx loop in serial would work not good with modulation effects (as well as also connected to the frontal input), the reason of the parallel setting by default not modifiable is to offer the option to have modulation effects connected to the send/return and other type of effects direct to the input.”

It was cool of them to reply and provide the information. However as mentioned above I think this info should be clearly stated in the marketing/tech specs/and manual. Otherwise the only way you find out about it is like me: after you buy it and then are confused by the sound of the effects loop. If I had known this before I would not have purchased the pedal, as I want to EQ and tubify my sound, then put it into pedals, then run the final signal out via the DI. Am I doing it wrong to want to do it this way? How does the effects loop work in other pedals of this type, do they allow for what I want to do?

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    A wet / dry blend knob would have been a good idea here

13. Agreed.

I run my effects in the loop of my Shift Line, and I figured the MB would be a drop-in replacement. I like a good preamp to be the first thing my instrument signal sees.

14. Although my biggest problem with the MB at the moment is that I loaned it to a friend who thinks it's incredible, so I might not get it back for a while :laugh:

15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yeah. That's one of the reasons why I like my EBS Microbass II preamp....

16. Honestly.. i don't really agree with their rational to having the loop that way. Probably it was a design compromise to not offer it as a switchable setting and that is their excuse.

Not happy about that... i am surprised I didn't pick up on it on my board.. I'll have to experiment a bit. But also re-wire and not happy about that either...
    yuck.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021