1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New means NEW .... right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBlueFalcon, Sep 10, 2019.

1. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    How many out there insist that their new spouse be a 25 year old virgin?

Coolhandjjl and logicman69 like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, but at least some of us knew we were getting something that had been used already. Many of us hardly could have been marketed as "new in the box"...

Keed, I keed.

Mike Whitfield and dan1952 like this.
  3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I understand, but if I bought in person, I could see the condition. And it didn’t go out on gigs, it was just used in store.

4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What, you don't think something on a rack in a store was never "borrowed" for a gig...?

Wisebass and Coolhandjjl like this.
  5. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Ok, you’re right. It’s all the same.

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This attitude is why some people just buy online.

Nez4, Chewtube, dan1952 and 2 others like this.
  7. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Which is fine. If you need to put in $50 worth of labor and strings to sell a $99 bass, it’s better to not sell it. The customer is only sometimes right contrary to popular belief.

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    New cars have been test-driven by multiple people, and then sent to detail to shine up. A couch may have been sitting on a showroom floor for months, with countless butts being parked on it. Back when there were actual book stores, people would go into stores and just read the books. A suit on a rack in a store likely has been tried on by many people. All are considered new. Why is an instrument any different?

What I am saying is that some people are insisting that the instrument be virgin, untouched by human hands. That isn't true now, and it never was. Frankly, I think the internet retailers did it to themselves by offering the 30 day period - that just set it up for people to tire-kick and return. There have been numerous threads from people who did exactly that - bought an instrument they had no intentions of keeping, but wanted to try it out because it was cool.

Relayer71, Coolhandjjl and mikewalker like this.
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Not sure where the $50 labor ans strings came from in that scenario. My point was that if someone is gonna lie about what they are selling you, and are unwilling to invest in a new customer, then they don't deserve that customers future $1000 purchase.

Chrisk-K likes this.
  10. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Have to agree with gln1955 here. I've seen snobbery and arrogance towards "low price" sales in the industry I worked in as well. A different industry, but not that much different. I remember a simple £40 sale to guy that dropped into the shop I worked at, his next purchase was over £20k and it didn't stop there.

gln1955 and mikewalker like this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    So, you prefer your new bass to be "untouched by human hands"?? (lol) - very probably human hands might have touched it in the factory...

12. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    I'm most definitely not saying that at all.

Mike Whitfield and mikewalker like this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Consider this: the shoes you buy downtown have had many feet in them before...:cigar:

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    MF and zZounds sell open box or returned items at a discount. Others sell them as if they were new.

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    No one is saying the customer is always right. But you do have a very short-term view of doing business.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  16. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    And people just buying online is what started the thread, isn't it?

17. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Ok, you're right, I suck.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  18. Mike Whitfield and dan1952 like this.
  19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This is exactly why, when I've purchased a new instrument (only twice), that I've purchased in-store. That way you know pretty much what you're getting. I realize not everyone can do that, but there it is.

20. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    No it is not. It is Dealers that feel like they have the right mislead customers and ignore consumer legislation that started this thread.

Guzzi Toad likes this.