1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New means NEW .... right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBlueFalcon, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    New could mean new in box, but could also reasonably mean floor model. It depends on the store.

At a small shop, I'd expect almost everything to be placed on the sales floor, and to have been played before. Any notable shop wear should be described, and the price should adjusted for it. Buy online from these places, and you're buying what you would get from them if you actually walked in...and it is common that it is not in truly perfect condition.

From a big/chain "store" that sells most of its stock out of a warehouse as opposed to off of a sales floor, then "new" should only mean new in box. Something that has been on the sales floor should be called a "demo." Returned stock can be sold as new if you can "get away with it," i.e. if it is in truly as-new shape; I'm fine with that, myself. Otherwise, it should be called a "demo," or possibly "B Stock."

CereBassum and Mike Whitfield like this.
  2. I bought a bass at GC a few weeks ago, was hanging on rack, still had plastic on tuners & pickguard, been played a little, they took $40 off

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  3. I buy online assuming it's been touched/played/handled by someone prior. I don't mind that as long as the item is in like new condition. What really matters to me for instruments are my feelings towards them. How does it play, does it inspire me? If I connect with the instrument and it has a cosmetic flaw, I don't really care. And most people insist on deals on new instruments, which, in my opinion, should increase the level of acceptability of cosmetic flaws.

There were many reasons why I quit Sweetwater. It had very little to do with the company, most of it was the sense of entitlement and general nastiness of dealing with customers. Generally bass players were the best of the bunch. Very few returns. Guitarists on the other hand were very difficult to deal with.

Mike Whitfield and Relayer71 like this.
  4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    So you hated the calls too?

5. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    I don’t get it. Is the problem that they weren’t in new condition, or that they had been taken out of the box from the factory?

Also FOUR times!? After the second time it didn’t occur to ask?

6. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    My question is did you like anyone of those basses you ordered?
    Cause you can ask for an adjustment of price?! Just saying :cool:

7. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Skip that NEW fad. Buy used. Get a discount. It's like a car. You will ding the bass within the first 48 hours anyways.

If you don't like the idea of being used, think of it as pre-mojoed! ;)

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Jake :)

It has flaws? Send it back! :laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

eJake likes this.
  9. It also used to be that you couldn't just walk in off the street, grab a bass and mangle it.

10. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    But SOMEBODY has got buy NEW bases or there'd be no used ones (and eventually, no more new ones as instrument companies would be making little money).

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You broke it, you bought it.

Ever hear of that???

Mike Whitfield and Wisebass like this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Bingo! I do that all the time! :D:thumbsup:

The last three amps I bought I took on a rehearsal and on a gig to know if they work!

And I returned at least 5 or 6 that were sold "as is " in the shop! :laugh: (as is = "new floor model")

Wise

CereBassum and buldog5151bass like this.
  13. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    I guess that just about wraps it up, I know what to expect in future.

14. Or if it's new but has been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse for years, right?

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yup. For items that are not perishable, the only risk is becoming obsolete or out of fashion.

16. I hated the emphasis on outbound calls they want you to make. Ethically I had an issue with calling people out of the blue while trying to get more active customers into my account. I had no problem with inbound calls helping people out and I had no problem calling customers who were in my account every few months to check in with them. But with Sweetwaters customer experience being the topmost priority there, there is a tendency to get abused with no recourse other than to shake it off and dial the phone. It was a quick lesson in why I was not cut out to be in sales. You never know until you try though.

17. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    I've only owned 1 brand new bass in my entire life and i guess i'm just not as picky as some, but it was a hangin on the wall at the local music store in 1992. i didn't care that it was on the wall and others had played it. that was how it was done. i ran off with that Jackson and never looked back.
    modded the crap out of it...took it out on the road for a year...eventually sold it...wish i still had it.

but if i were to buy another new bass today i would expect to pick one up from the wall at the music store and play it, buy it...and move on.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  18. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I never could understand having to have a “New” instrument. Once you play it, it’s no longer new, and you paid premium price for the privilege of conversion. Me, give me gently used any day of the week, but that’s me.

As for your post, I’ve not noticed that, but I have notice that finding a stock new bass that is playable without spending significant cash getting into playable condition about as scarce as hens teeth.

19. Whats the difference between a mail order bass and a virgin?

20. Or getting an awesome deal! :thumbsup::D