New MTD...Pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkasaurus, May 11, 2005.

1. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah! My new fretless Kingston 4 is here. Been playing her for a few hours now, and she really sings!

Really impressed with the build quality and tone. Tight neck pocket, low action and no buzzing, which was my main concern after reading a few old threads about these basses. Love the feel of the neck, very comfortable for me, a Fender Jazz guy. The bass came with MTD strings. I believe they are stainless steel roundwounds on a hex core, but I'm not sure. They're pretty bright. I have a set of Sunbeams laying around which I may put on later. Control cavity is neat and the wires are bundled together nicely, with a good conductive shielding paint job and shielding tape on the cavity cover. Tuners weren't the most responsive when I first tuned the bass, but it has stayed in tune well.

This is my first fretless, so I have mucho practice ahead of me, but my intonation is not as bad as I thought it would be. Guess 15 years of playing the violin helps! :D

Bass Emporium (where I got mine) is having a sale on Kingstons - only $299 brand spanking new. I think they only have a couple left. Unbelievable deal for a bass of this quality.

Anyway here are a couple low quality pics, then it's back to the shed... :hyper:

2. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
  3. Very nice! If I had $300 I'd get one too.
  4. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
  5. grats...MTDs all the way man
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    MTD's are nice! I've looked at the Saratoga a couple of times.
  7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Beauty, what do you think of the not as high end mtd's. their high end is to die for so i was wondering if their off shore stuff was fantastic too.
  8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The MTD Kingston is possibly the best non-boutique fretless made. I just got a fretless much more expensive that a Kingston, but seriously thought about getting this instead.

Enjoy it. That's a great price too. You sure it didn't fall off a truck?
  9. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I've got the 5er version, and I really dig it. Congrats!
  10. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Heh heh. Yeah I was skeptical about the price too, so I called Bass Emporium before I ordered. They are closing them out, hence the great price. :cool:

Man I am loving this bass, even the pickguard is starting to grow on me. Think I might try replacing it with a black one for that stealth bass look. :ninja:

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Wish I could stay home from work to play all day. Maybe I should call in sick with a case of new bass syndrome... ;)
  11. Call in with Anal Glaucoma.....

Tell your boss that you can't see your @$$ coming into work today. Usually it won't matter but sometimes you get bonus points for originality!
  12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just checked their website, and both MTD Kingstons they had were listed as fretted... does this mean that they're out of fretless models, or did they just not bother to list them separately?
  13. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    All of the fretless are probably gone. Even their newer active models have cleared out... the only thing left seems to be an Heir-5.

Makes me wonder if they just don't plan on bringing in any more MTDs.
  14. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You are correct sir. Looks like they sold the last two new Kingstons. I spoke to John at Bass Emporium when I bought mine and he said they were closing them out. It was a good deal while it lasted! Wish I had known about it when they still had some active Heirs left, I would've bought one of those too.