New Music Man Starry Night PDN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edmang, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Like the color.

At least there will be cool color options through the PDN offerings going forward.

Starry Night

2. I particularly like the ebony board without position markers and roasted maple necks - look very nice indeed.

3. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Considering the reduced color options being offered by EBMM (and others) this appears to me to be the new method by which the consumer can get something other than white, sunburst, or black. Throw a bone out there for the masses, get a set number of orders at basically full retail, they'll make it. No extra inventory created. Hide it all under the guise of "exclusive color" or "limited edition".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I'm really digging the badly spaced poles.

MYLOWFREQ and oaklandthumb like this.
  5. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Oh boy this is a tempting finish. I wonder if the Bongo also has the figured neck and not the standard painted neck.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Not sure what you're seeing. They look good to me.

7. Shhh that's been fenders secret for decades

Bassmunnky likes this.
  8. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    It is the only method now for a different color. But it is not new. EBMM has been having PDN runs for years offering a special color and features unique to that run.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Love the color, and the blank no-fretboard dots look is my favorite! This would have been sooo awesome on a Big Al....thanks alot EBMM....yeah thanks alot....

10. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Except, they had a ton more regular production colors until recently.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The neck pickup on the HH has been like that since it was released. They sound fine as is, so no need to do a special pickup.

Bassmunnky likes this.
  12. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

13. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Man, I like that a lot...I really don't need a new bass (considering I just bought one) but that is damn tempting.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I want to sell my bongo now and get a new one. Thanks.

Edit- just actually read the link :). Thankful that there are no starry Bongos yet.

15. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Tacoma
    Talk to Marty Bell, he can do this without the wait.

LUCE and bwoodman like this.
  16. ThomThomKC

ThomThomKC

Dec 19, 2013
    Kansas City
    Ya got the email last night about this. So purty! Too bad I won't be in the market for a StingRay for a few more years.

17. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    First off: their concept seems to be drawn from what Eastwood has been doing for a while.

Secondly: the 3 main colors that are sold are black, white & sunburst. Yes, there are other colors but those 3 sell the most. Also, considering how hard it can be to match up a buyer with a "special color", this really makes sense from an economic PoV.

The big question for me is, will I like it once I have it in my hands? Didn't check the $$$ but, knowing EBMM, I'm pretty sure they will be more than $1000, which way more than I'd be comfortable spending for an instrument that I haven't played first.

The P bass I have now went thru 2 necks & 2 sets of pickups before it was where I really wanted it and that ended up costing close to $1300 after the original $600+ that I started at.

Let's face it, buying a guitar/bass can be a real crapshoot, and, since I buy to use and not as a museum piece, I'd rather start out with a low entry cost and build up from there. It's not that I don't see the advantages that this type of offering has its just that I can see a lot of room for advancing the concept. Hope it works out for everyone who takes the leap and for EBMM.

kalanb and musicman666 like this.
  18. I quite like the finish. I think it would have looked really nice with a matching headstock.

pudgychef likes this.
  19. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    But you ending up spending $1300 on a $600 bass. You'll never get that back in a resale. I say it makes more sense to buy used, but buy good from the start.

20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Or even just a black headstock.