1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Perspectives-Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lowregister, May 1, 2010.

1. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Hey all,

Moved to Germany 2 months ago and I couldn't bring my bass with. 2 weeks in I cracked and picked up an acoustic guitar which I've been playing like mad. I miss my bass dearly and reading this forum never helps cure the itch.

From a music standpoint, moments like this can be really helpful to your playing abilities. By stepping back and listening to your favorite music without always noodling around on the bass can give new perspectives.

What would you guys advise while I spend the next 3 months here without a bass. How can I "improve" my playing without a bass?

2. one idea would be to earch your town for a location where jam sessions are held. we have like 2-3 locations here in my town. diferent nights of the week, so if i wanted, i could go jam nearly every night. and they have instruments there, so you dont need a bass.

try out irish pubs, or some jazz-kellers.

what city are you living in?

3. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Bonn

4. well, don´t really know the situation in bonn, im from darmstadt, near frankfurt...
    but after quickly browsing the internet, i found this.

http://www.fiddlers-bonn.com/143.0.html

it´s a start...

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Use the guitar to learn harmony. The tuning and the higher octave makes hearing different voices easier than a bass.

6. Work on scale knowledge referencing the guitar.

7. Yes if you are just noodling. Noodle away on the 6 string just don't get on the 1st and 2nd string.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Anything you can learn on a bass, you can learn on guitar. Do some online studies, buy some books, etc. No need to stop learning the bass. Maybe buy some heavier gauge strings for the acoustic. Take off the top two strings. Finger pick the guitar. Do some ear training online, etc.

You might want to check out the links in my sig. for some great TB info that may help fill your time.

Good luck.