Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW PLAYERS/OLD SENSITIVITIES?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by burk48237, Mar 5, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I must admit I haven't listened to alot of the new "hot" players, I have a couple of Wooten Albums, and the Allman Bros, live with Othiel, Don't have any Matt Garrison yet or Michael Mannering or Richard Bona. I have I think one Gary Willis thing. Most of the new stuff leaves me cold, great Technique, Monster Chops but I don't hear great songs and in some cases I don't hear "creative-melodic" soloing. I do like Marcus, He seems to be able to take a Standed and make it his own, like his version of "Lonnies Lament" or "Round Midnight" and he's a pretty good writer too, I have a feeling "Tutu" will wind up in the real book some day! I even feel the same way about some new hot players on other instruments, Chris Potter for instance can blow a horn, but his solo work always tends to be forgetfull, Where's the Melody? Too me when I think of great solos I think of Jaco on "Bright size life" or "Havana" or Miles on "Old Folks" who said more with ten notes then most say with sixty-four. Here's my Question, Are there any new players who are writing the "real book standreds" of tomorrow that you can reccomend?, stuff with strong memorable melodys?, and solo's that are musical (strong melodys on there own)?. In other words are there any new players with the old senstitivities!

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I tend to agree. There are a ton of cats who have chops for days and can slap a mile a minute but I feel a good portion of them have no idea how to groove or to play minimal and for the song. Most feel that their chops have to shine no matter what. That's why I'm a huge fan of Nathan East. This cat has the chops to do anything but knows how to groove, pull back and play for the song and lend vocal abilities as well! The dude's resume is vast and sometimes unbelievable when you look at it!! There is also very little variety with the new players. They all do and play the same stuff. No innovative qualities whatsoever! Just my 2 cents on the matter.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The subject of electric bassists as composers has come up before IIRC. Here are a few suggestions for more recent (i.e. '80s onwards) bassists that have great technique and are strong composers:

Avishai Cohen

Ben Allison (double-bass only I believe - great bandleader and tunes though)

Jonas Hellborg (although probably too esoteric to make into the Real Book)

Dominique di Piazza

Michael Manring
    (I think many of his solo bass tunes are strong enough to be arranged for a jazz group)

Christian McBride

4. Alain Caron and John Patitucci do alot of their own composing.

I recommend 'Heart of the Bass' from John. That is one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.

5. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bernie, I'll deffinently check out the Patituccii disk, and I do own some Christian MsBride too. One of the things I want to stress is I'm not talking necesscarily about bass players who write there own stuff (Sting is incredible by the way), but players who exhibit a sensetivity too Melody, Taste and don't look at every solo as chance to show you all there chops. If there great writers that helps, but if there playing other peoples material thats OK too. The quality of the song is critical, when I listen to a solo I'm not interested in what modes a guy knows against a C9t5#11, I'm intereasted in how he plays against the original melody. So if the original Melody is week the solo is inconsequential and can't save a bad melody. For example Naima is a simple tune, but the melody is so tremendous I look for every version of it!

6. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Nathan East is what James Jamerson would sound like if he were still holding down the bottom end Today, great pocket player. His playing on Claptons "One more car, one more driver" is sick. But I'm still looking for a "new" Jazz player that will turn my head.

7. Markus Setzer

8. I'll add Trip Wamsley to the list of cats who write well. he's a monster player and a fine soloist, but he also crafts singable melodies and is one of the most engaging stage presences you'll get the chance to check out. great stuff!

from the lows,

Stew

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I might get smacked for posting a band with no bass player :bag: BUT, Soulive is an awesome band, with very memorable, melodic components, a groove that wont quit, and really funky basslines that happen to be played by the left hand of their Organist Neil Evans. They have some very good horn players that sit in with them from time to time, as well as some amazing singers here and there.

Check em out :)

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure Neil Evans is kicking bass, not left handing it. I say that because he does a lot of two handed stuff...

Oh and I agree they are amazing! Thanks to Scofield, they really got recognized.