1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Preamp for K&K Bass Max

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 10, 2013.

1. I've had a K&K Bass Max for 10+ years and am perfectly happy with it. However, it appears the preamp has died on me. I am investigating a repair, but given my preamp needs (volume, input, output), it might be cheaper to just get a new preamp. My question is whether I should just get the K&K Pure Sound preamp or if there are other ones out there that might sound as good or better and/or suit my needs. I don't want to spend a ton of money. The Schatten Design Mini Pre caught my eye - has anyone used this or any other small (needs to mount on tailpiece) preamp with the bass max? L.R. Baggs also makes at least one (LR Baggs Gigpro Single-Channel Belt-pack Preamp). Thanks!

2. One of Francis Decks HPFpre's?

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, obviously the K&K Pure Sound was designed to be compatible with the K&K Bass Max. I'd certainly have someone check it out, because sometimes it's the leads to the 9volt battery can be broken or detached from their insertion point on the motherboard. That's a simple repair any competent tech can do.

Both Schatten and L.R. Baggs make reasonably priced, good sounding, and well thought out pre amps. There is also now a smaller box called the EDM-1, from Headway Electronics. it would run you $229.00 U.S. but it's got some very nice features.

Here's a link to a You Tube video where they compare the EDM-1 to the Baggs Para Acoustic DI.

Enjoy

Ric

4. Thanks - I will check these out. I thought the K&K always sounded fine, I just wasn't really impressed with the design/workmanship. But it has lasted a while so what do I know. The reason I would be more inclined to ditch it (unless I see an obvious bad connection) is because it is two-channel but I took the double big twin pickups out of the equation years ago. The two-channel K&K preamp (at least the one I have) has tone controls, but they are internal, which is a PITA. Plus the single channel is so inexpensive that I hesitate to pay an electronics guy even an evaluation fee. I know once I review the links you sent I am going to want the most expensive one...

5. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

Oct 25, 2007
    I have the Bass Max pickup...I also have the K&K preamp that you have. I think it's junk. I also have the Baggs Para Acoustic DI and Fishman Platinum Bass DI...I prefer the Fishman over the other two...good luck.

6. I got another K&K. This was an unexpected expense so ultimately I decided to just replace it with the simplified version of what I had and be done with it. Sounds the same as the old one, which is fine by me. I still don't really like the construction, but at least now they make 'em so you don't have to remove a screw to take the cover off.....

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've always thought the K&K felt kind of cheap. They sound fine and work fine but maybe are not so durable.

8. Funny you should reply to this thread right now. I've been using my new K&K preamp with no trouble, but I decided to order an HPF pre to try as well, based on reviews around these parts. I used it for the first time last nigh - we rehearse at a bandmember's house, and he has a pretty crappy bass amp there (Crate?) which actually sounds fine for practicing, and easier than lugging my amp. Anyway, HPF pre sounded really good, and I could hear the impact of the high pass filter quite well. Ironically, I think I somehow blew up the amp - at one point I switched to electric BG and noticed that the high end was distorting/chopping. Still don't know what did it, and it might be a total coincidence...we'll see I guess.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't been on this side of TB much. I am thinking that I need to get my upright chops back again so I hope to be here more.

I have a K&K Bass MAx pickup (at the high school I teach at actually) and while my Genz Benz can handle it, I may be looking for a preamp again.