Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Mar 17, 2005.

1. After selling my old rig, I finally received the last piece of my new one today, Avatar B212. Wow, that with the BMAX SS and QSC RMX1450 is incredible. I LOVE IT! Such a huge step from my last setup.

Anyways, anybody wanna offer insight...What would happen if i connected the 2 outputs from the qsc to the 212 inputs?
  2. does everyone just hate me or what?
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    did you take a shower...... :D
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, you are from Taxachusetts.... ;)

But hold on..... I don't own that amp.... but do you mean, connect both stereo channels of the QSC to the two 1/4" jacks on the back of the B212, intended to connect a second, parallel cab, with the amp in stereo mode?

As I said, I don't own that amp.... but that sounds like a REALLY bad idea..... one that would backfeed one output with the power of the other......

Don't try it, at least not until someone with experience with that QSC chimes in....
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Something sort of like this:

In all seriousness though, don't do it.
  6. point well taken, the visual is always a plus
  7. Congrats on the new rig!! It sounds like you're doing the same thing I am. I just got a QSC PLX2402 and I have an Avatar 212. I was running the Avatar with an Eden WT-800, it was great, but I want to go the poweramp/preamp route. I'm going to be demo'ing some preamps and I'm really curious about the BBE. Have you used the BBE in live situations? I heard it on but it's hard to tell how something is going to work in the real world. Thanks!!!
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You can run the QSC bridged into the single cabinet. Or run it stereo and just use one channel into the single cabinet. Or if you want to run two cabinets, run it in stereo with one channel going to each cabinet. Or if your cabinets are each 8 ohms you could run it bridged into both cabinets, giving you a 4 ohm load. There may be other combinations that will work but these are some that have worked for me. Good Luck.
  9. yeah...I've heard of bridging...don't really know what it is though. Care to fill me in on that? How would I go about doing that? (BTW my 212 is 4 ohms)
  10. and to who asked if i've used the bbe live, no i haven't. i just got it recently and only used it for a few hours. from what i heard i love it so far. its the weekend now, so i expect to be playing just about non stop
  11. nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    Congrats on your B212 purchase! Trust me, it's worth 3 times what you paid for it.

12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Don't know bout bridging, eh?

Well... basically right now, your putting 450Watts into your cab @ 4ohms stereo. Nice and loud, huh?

Well... Bridging "combines" the 2 amps that are in the 1450. You've probably noticed the little tiny swithces in the back of the amp (towards the left). Check out the manual and see how to set it for Mono-bridge mode. However... you'll need a Speakon cable wired specifically for mono-bridge.... or if your using banana plugs, you'll have to plug them in the Red sockets only.

That would give you 1400Watts bridged at 4ohms.... which the B212 could easily handle. :)
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Did you get the 4 ohm or the 8 ohm version? I have a GK 400 RB, and I'm sick of my Hartke 410XL and looking to replace it with the Avatar 212. On the back of the GK, it says "4 Ohm."

THe way I see it, I could either:
    a) get the 8 Ohm cabinet, and run both it and the Hartke off the GK (though I doubt this would sound very good)
    b) get the 4 Ohm version, and run just it off the GK. Maybe sell the Hartke to make the wife happy, though I doubt I'd get much for a 410 XL from circa 1990.

I don't think I'll be replacing the GK anytime soon (wife is still getting over the Lakland DJ5 purchase, which hasn't even arrived yet), but some day, I'd might like to get a new head, so I'm wondering if I should go with the 4 or 8 Ohm version? :confused:
  14. I got the 4 ohm 212, just seemed to make more sense at the time, figured i could add another one for a 2 ohm load seeing as how my power amp can handle that.
    And this bridging sounds like a pretty sweet idea. I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to bridge this when I add another cab in the future, I'd just have to go with the 2 ohm load correct?
  15. With 2 four ohm cabs you would probably want to connect one to each channel and run the amp in parallel mode. Each cab would get 450 watts for a grand total of 900watts and 4x12 speakers. Now that's a loud rig!
  16. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeah, you cant bridge at 2ohms. But you have lots of time to experiment. Try bridging at 1400 and take note of how much volume you have. To be honest, 900Watts with more speakers may very well be louder than 1400Watts with less speakers. Either way, I think your current setup should keep you happy for a looong time.
  17. everyone seems to be saying 900W @ 2 ohms. It's only (well not really ONLY) 700W. Just to put that out there...
  18. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes, but the 900Watts I was referring to is what you get from 450Watts per side @ 4ohms.
  19. The QSC RMX1450 is a stereo power amp. That means that there are two independant power amps built into it. Each power section is capable of producing 450watts @4 ohms. So if you had a 4ohm cab hooked up to each power section you would get 900watts.

I think you may be confusing a stereo power amp with your typical mono head that has two parallel speaker outputs.
  20. I see. And that makes me even happier than before! I was fine with 700, but 900. YES!! Thanks for clearing that up.