1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Spector singlecut bass! Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Thorpe, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Nick Thorpe

Nick Thorpe Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Boston, MA
    One of my friends at NAMM shared a photo of this thing:
    16105581_10154841528840833_7523583845362747989_n.
    My reaction: :vomit:

What do you think?

Betrayer_Bass, Mr_O'B, TonyP- and 9 others like this.
  2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I don't like the shape of the treble horn side, but it's still better IMHO than Warwick's Thumb SC =0)

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Given how familiar the NS body shape is, simply changing the top horn makes the whole thing look off to me. It looks like they stopped before they completely carved it. Having said that, it is a Spector, so it will be a great bass.

4. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    the only singlecut bass that doesn't make me choke on the last meal i ate is probably the warrior isabella...

5. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    I think I like the Ibanez Whale better (aesthetically).

Ikkir and Mechanical like this.
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I like Spector. I like single cut. I don't care for this aesthetic.

7. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    i get the artsy aesthetics of this type of single-cut basses like that but, to me, all those basses look like somebody just got lazy and dropped the ball when making the bodies.....they look more like mistakes than intentional....ymmv, of course

Mr_O'B and Savage_Dreams like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice piece of wood, though, but not for me, either.

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  9. I adore the NS shape, but this current trend for 'everything must be available in singlecut' doesn't do it for me. I love singlecut basses in general but you can tell the ones that were designed from the ground up as a singlecut.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Just knuckling under to a fad AFAIC.

And I'm sorry but that shape just looks hideous to my eyes. (Yuk!) But that's me. I'm "one of those people" who feels form should follow function and "good design" do the same. YMMV.

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

They seem to be a little late to the party with this one. The pace at which some companies R&D tends to keep up with trends can be really depressing. It reminds me of fashion in certain rural areas where everything is a few years behind the latest style, like some kid standing in front of a mirror just figuring out how to best wear his flannel and how to tie a man-bun. Yes, that's what this post reminded me of. Sorry.

Was there some major advancement in luthiery in the last year that made it easier for companies to offer this shape and they're only just now beginning to utilize it, or do people actually want these things? I may be wrong, but I don't see the cross marketing appeal here. What company first comes to mind when one is seeking a high end single cut to own?

joe vegas likes this.
  12. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    its ok looking, wouldnt be my first choice though, the upper bout looks too big imo

asands likes this.
  13. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I think it would look better as a 5 or 6-string; that little 4-string neck just looks "off" when paired with that huge upper bout.

I generally find single-cut basses reasonably pleasing to the eye, but yeah, not this one so much.

14. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    This Sadowsky does it for me. The Spector, not so much. The upper bout is really ungraceful.

12493596_989060541174722_7686424948681221026_o-.

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm from West Virginia. I'm pretty sure "rural" had flannel way before it was popular.;)

Your point is a good one, though. In this case, I don't think Spector has anything to lose. They build one to show it off. They can limit production to the point that this is a "special order," and not build another one unless somebody buys it. They get the benefit of adding a singlecut to their catalog, even if it is "late to the game."

petrus61 likes this.
  16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm from upstate NY (ironically 5 minutes down the road from where this bass was made), where even my brother in law from the Tennessee sticks agrees there are "more hicks than seeds in squirrel poopie", so it's not lost on me:)

wvbass likes this.
  17. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    love Spector but don't care for single cut.....never was a fan of whale bass

osv likes this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks like something Gumby would play.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  19. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Looks like it has a tumor.

20. I'd not seen that before. That is really ungainly looking.

Gord_oh and Mechanical like this.