1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SX Jazz Update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biga173rd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Has anyone checked out Rondo Music lately? They finally got rid of there God aweful headstock witch they still have available on older models. The new model is called. SX Ursa 2 MN PRO NA. Yea I know what your thinking what a long ass name lol. Anyways I like it. It reminds me of the fclef head stock. And at $250 with all the little upgrades it's a good deal for nice Jazz on a budget. No 5 string yet. But a good move so far. :thumbup:

http://www.rondomusic.com/andromediamnna.html

2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA

I get the gist of what you're saying. I have been silent about Rondo Music's offerings, though I have been visiting its site for the last two years. This, in large part, because of the controversy of the classic vs. "new" headstock designs, which do not bother me in the least.

Their jazz basses overall look pretty good. Their Andromeda series come close to the Squier Vintage Modified in terms of price, but the Ash bodies are hard to overlook. Funny though, I have been wanting a Jazz bass for well over two years. I just wish that the Andromedas had a more diverse choice of finishes, read: Candy apple red with parchment/pearloid pickguard. Perhaps that will come in due time. From what I have read, the SX basses have been and continue to be a template for modders, which I believe to be a good thing, because it's not difficult and the many satisfied customers from Rondo.

3. If only it was worth buying to import to Canada. After duty/taxes, it's the cost of a Squier CV.

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Your link is to a Constellation series bass named Andromeda. To be sure, there IS a Pro model (http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mnprona.html) but the headstock is not the same. What you are paying for to get from the pro to the Andromeda is the one piece ash body. And I'm not so sure that this will be replacing the Ursas... only time will tell.

5. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    I have both, Rondo bass is superior to the squier in every way in my opinion.

Squier-painted block inlays-weak pickups

Rondo-Real Block inlays and ash body. Deluxe beefy tuners-

Not sure how their able to do it.

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Hopefully this headstock makes it to all their basses. The low priced model are an amazing bargain. Kurt is great to deal with too.

7. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Kurt is a really cool cat.-seriously better customer service on a 100 dollar guitar then trying to get hold of Fender about issues on a 2500 instrument.

Sad:(

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I have dealt with Kurt- he is stuck with the models SX sends him.
    The new headstock is good. Lets hope Kurt's Chinese overlords see fit to send him some 5 string Andromedas.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd definitely like to see some expansion of the Andromeda line too, but I think the OP is in error that it's "replacing" the Ursa - from what I can see it's just a new product line, presumably to compete with VM Squiers. I don't mind the "new" headstock so much, but it's not as nice as the old ones and I wouldn't mind a bit if the Ursas started to use the Andromeda design.

10. That's a nice looking jazz bass. I'd put a black pick guard on it and slap in a set of Seymour Duncans.

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Tell me about it. Canada just plain sucks for buying gear.

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Problem is say i want to buy the ursa ash p bass.
    My son in ohio pays $16.58 to ship.
    I buy one in canada i pay $75.35 and thats not even the import charges/taxes yet.

13. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Understand-Can I smuggle one to ya???

I should buy one, sell it to you for a dollar so the duties are lower!

Opps did I say that outloud???

Did it for a friend in the UK. Only thing that sucks is if it gets lost, no value to insure.

LOL

14. Uhhh...my block inlays on my VM 70s Jazz are real, and the pickups are NOT weak. Ash vs Alder/Basswood/Maple is a moot point, except for weight. I've never had an issue with my vintage style tuners, either. They're very stable.

Doctor Hugocat likes this.
  15. I disagree. IMO getting a one piece ash body at this price point is something you probably wont find any where else and it will be a big selling point for some people.

16. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    I don't have an ear for it. However, it DOES PISS ME OFF that my hand stained ash Fender is a 3-PIECE!!! I have been holding back from SX for too long now - -- I'm losing grip of my cheap assedness and going to have to pull the trigger soon. It will most likely be Andromeda in natural.

17. Other than aesthetics, what's the point to a 1 piece body? It doesn't resonate any better. It's not going to be any more stable.

18. Is the grain on your FSR matched well enough that you don't notice until you're up close? If yes, who really cares how many pieces it is!?

19. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    So this is an interesting thought. Why does it piss me off? I payed 1300 bucks for it!? And Rondo does it for 260+shipping!

The grain is matched pretty well and you do have to look a little to notice. The only thing I wonder about when it comes to multiple pieces of ash is that - from what I understand - ash varies in density/weight from piece to piece. If you have 3 or more pieces, can they be from different trees? To me, that kind of takes away from a nice finish.

Having said that, I can't hear the difference, or feel it I guess. But it seems to me it points to low(er) quality construction.

20. Probably not, just looks better.