1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SX model... any word yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Cardoza, Oct 1, 2010.

1. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
  2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    interesting...just...can't...get...passed...the headstock...:bawl:

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Curious.... whats so new about it?

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The humbucker in bridge position. I don't think SXs have ever had humbuckers of any kind, they've always been straight P, J, and P/J copies.

5. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I do believe they at one time also made EBMM copies. You may still be able to get them from the overseas distributors, just not from Rondo.

6. +1

:scowl:

Would have totally jumped on an SX Jag Bass if not for the SX 'dread'-stock...

7. Yep... i actually see these now and then on Ebay.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's incomprehensible to me that someone would pass on this bass or any bass that in all other aspects is what the player desires because of the headstock shape.

9. Me too -- but we're in the minority here, it seems.

10. deltadave

deltadave

May 5, 2010
    Exactly how I feel, too.... I hate that style.. Hell I'd be happier with a squire neck on it ;)

11. Greg.D

Greg.D

Sep 28, 2010
    I understand BUT there are just so many things you can do with a headstock - esp when it is 4 tuners on a side - that that SX style - and all the many others like it - is getting pretty common.

I know, the rest of it says Fender and then you move your eyes up to the top ....

Anyway, you can pay the $150 premium for the Squier ...

Greg

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I don't get it either. The shape of the headstock is way down on the list for reasons to get/not get a bass for me. All else being equal, if you would normally get an SX bass because you have owned and enjoyed them in the past, not getting one solely because they changed the headstock shape makes no sense to me.

13. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Make it a fiver with a tort pickguard and I may be buying my first SX...even though I don't dig the headstock all that much either.

14. It's just so damn ugly though.

15. Oh i know... it's more my round'a'bout way of rationalizing that i don't NEED another cheap-o bass and i should save up for nice basses now.

However... the one bass type i do not have is a jazz... so maybe...

I mean... headstock aside... this thing is so sexy http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa4rnpbu.html

16. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

17. I have one, and it rocks. Very good quality and bang for the buck. I am dropping some delano pickups in because the output on the stock ones is low and I hate hum (the neck pickup isn't humcancelling). I'll be doing a more in depth review later. But as of right now, it has dethroned my 1980's P-bass and Warwick Corvette...

18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Wow; does the bridge pup alone sound very MM like?

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    It'd be nice to see a video with one of these basses. If it comes close to the MM tone, that would be one for the collection.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021