1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New TC BAM200 micro head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    This is the feeling which I got when playing other TC heads (BG series)...

2. 19sixty3

19sixty3

Mar 13, 2019
    Berlin, Germany
    Thank you @4stringjim The Bam200 really has my interest now.

3. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Thank you, @4stringjim! Great info, and thank you for keeping your comments on the power rating as objective as possible. There are so many variables that affect how loud an amplifier sounds other than the power output (taper of the audio pots, built in EQ curves, compressors, etc.), and people often jump to conclusions about the power output based on highly subjective experiences, sometimes without even being aware of the variables, let alone controlling for them in a laboratory setting. (I'm not saying subjective reviews aren't valuable, or that experienced players and technicians can't make good judgements based personal experiences. It's just that power output seems particularly tricky to gauge). To clarify, based on your bench tests and experience, do you think 200W is fair? It sounds to me like this likely a "program" or "music" rating, so somewhere between peak and RMS.

The EQ scoop you describe sounds very similar to the TE Elf. There are response curves posted in the Elf thread.

4. 4stringjim

4stringjim Commercial User

Apr 16, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Senior Engineer, Fishman Transducers
    IMO , based on my measurements, I can say that the Bam 200’s performance is accurately represented by the document Elias86 linked to from TC Electronics website. So, is 200 watts a “fair” claim? Well, it’s not un-fair...especially considering the price and performance! It works for me and I am happy with the amp.

seamonkey and Elias86 like this.
  5. ZSN624

ZSN624

Apr 15, 2018
    Beijing
    I emailed Trace Elliot and visited their web, and that is what 30 watts means
    upload_2019-5-15_10-14-35.
    And the Elf has real 200W continuously which is not the peak power.
    upload_2019-5-15_10-13-25.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Right. I'm not sure if my original post was clear, but I was pointing out that the rating on the back of the amp is some fraction of the max output power. Just because it says 30W on the back of the Elf doesn't mean that it is not a 200W amp (Nor is it a perpetual motion machine. It's just how the ratings are done).

Likewise, just because the TC BAM200 says it consumes 60W, doesn't means it's not a 200W amp.

DWBass and Zbysek like this.
  7. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Thanks! This sounds reasonable to me

8. ZSN624

ZSN624

Apr 15, 2018
    Beijing
    Yeah, so I just sold my elf and keep using my warwick LWA1000, with 1200W power into the unit. Don't care about the elf any more and fear none with 1000 watts in my hand ;)
    Some brands do this cheating, and one of the most famous is G-K. MB 800 is actually a 560W amp.

9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    You'll see a similar input/power draw rating on all class D amps. Class D does not work on a 1 watt in/1 watt out premise. It's safe to say it's a 200W amp, but the 200W output is assuming a 4 Ohm load--that's what "200W max" means; at 8 Ohms, it's probably putting out around 130W. (And those ratings should be continuous, not peak.)

DWBass likes this.
  10. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    You can't do any better for power to weight ratio than the LWA1000. I'm surprised it's not more popular. Sounds like an awesome amp to me.
    I'm surprised to hear that about GK, though. I was under the impression they had a pretty good reputation for accurate power ratings.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It's 560W into an 8 ohm load, 800w into a 4 ohm load. Almost all amps have their power ratings listed at their minimum load.

Elias86 likes this.
  12. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    +1