Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeflepard, Jun 19, 2004.

1. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I got it today. I hooked it up thru my Bergantino ht322 and wow!!! My first impression is that its the best sounding amp that I have played thru. It is louder than my GK 1001 and it has a warm tone that I have been searching for. I have owned GK 1001, SWR 750, Kern 777, Aguilar DB 359, Ashdown ABM 500, Ampeg SVT pro 3. I think this one is a keeper. It is also lightweight and simple to use. I can't wait to try it one the gig. I bought it from Bass Central.
    Jeff

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Be sure and give us a thorough review after a gig or two.

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    It just keeps gettin better my man, the more you use it ,the more versatile you realize it is.Try it with alot of different speaker combinations and you will find that it makes all of them sound amazing.Then you can make a dream rig with it.I have a dr.bass 115 with an emminence beta in it.I have coupled it with an older ampeg 4x8 cabinet that I had (with 4 emminence alpha speakers in it), and I was stunned.The balls, clarity ,punch, it had it all.Happy hunting.And don't be fooled by all these guys worrying about an 800 watt amp or more.I have never had the amp in a situation that it could not handle just as it is.Rock on.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    How do these Thunderfunk's sound with P-basses? Anyone have anysoundclips of their TF's?

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im looking at the TF420 manual and am I reading it correctly in that the bass knob controls frequency at 80 Hz? Isnt that kind of high for "bass"? I was thinking somewhere around 50Hz was the norm.

6. Congradulations. If I didn't have so much FINE gear already I would be checking one of those out. I love the Berg cabs and just tweaked up my rig to the max by adding a Crest CA9 recommended by Jim himself. I would love to hear a TF sometime. I've actually talked with Dave and he is a great guy and not far from me at all. I'll have to make some time and try one.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I wonder how big the difference would be going from my BBE/PLX1602, pre/power setup to the TF. I would essentially be dropping 100 watts. I wonder if the volume would be much different.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    MM,

I would be surprised if the TF could match the low end capabilities of the BMax/PLX1602?

Curious as to why you're not bridging your 1602?

The difference between 400W and 500W is barely audible (all other things being equal -- such as dynamic headroom).

The difference between 400W and 1600W is significant.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im not bridging because its really not mandatory in my situation.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to consider trying it.

Even if you play at lower volumes, you might find better dynamics in your sound as a result of the added headroom.

Use the Clip Limiter and if not playing a BEAD... bass, use the 30Hz filter.

11. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks for the review, I was looking at those but I had decided to go with the Orange AD200B. But I never got a chance to play the Thunder Funk. Enjoy your new amp!!!

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    That's fairly normal, and it is an offending frequency with low end rumble that can be taken care of quickly by that control.The lowest band of the 4 band parametric will go down as low as your cabinet will if you really want low end rumble.You can play with it and find the lowest usable frequency of each cabinet you have by turning it up loud and rotating the dial.You will find where your cabinets lowest usable frequencies are, and also where its best lowest usable frequencies are.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I know it sounds great, but BETTER than an Aguilar DB-359? really?

14. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I played the Thunderfunk on my gig Sunday night and the amp sounded great. It is so easy to find a good tone it it really pushes the Bergantino HT 322. I have also played a Kern 777 with a Crest LT1500 which was excellent but I like the Thunderfunk better. I can find a wider variety of tones and it is so simple to use-and it weighs less than 20 lbs. My GK 1001 is now for sale.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I should have soundclips of the Thunderfunk on basstasters.com this week!

Great sounding amp, very clean, very punchy and textured.

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    From playing both, i'd say different, not better. The TF doesn't have that "POWER TUBE" sound, but then it's clearer and more consistent over all frequencies. The 359 tends to have peaks and valleys, but that's pure character and it sounds great for certain things. The TF is just pure, tight, and clear.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Little lo-freq-us sitting 'neath a tree
    G-A-S-S-I-N-G!

Damn.

18. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    lol :p

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Interesting! I have an HT322 as well. I've been jonesing for a M-B M-2000, but I would like to hear the TF as well now.

Would also be interested in hearing it drive a Berg HT112/EX112 stack and also an AG Tri 210.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A soundclip really won't do it justice. There's a physicality to the sound that you won't get on a recording.

I had a few friends who are bassists stop by my Tuesday night gig this week and have their jaws lowered after listening to my TF/Nahas little big rig. I've been using it for a while now and "I" still don't believe it;).