1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Tip Trick...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Call it unethical or whatever, but I tried something the other night that seemed to generate a LOT more tips for the band. First off, I "seeded" the tip jar w/ $15 at an appropriate time...also had a couple fans (incognito friends) drop a couple bucks that I'd slipped them in the jar.

Wound up we took in about 3 times the normal amount of tips for the night, along w/ our pay. Maybe a tad shady, but when we're competing against the lottery (poker machines) and crapeoke (the other nights of the week) for the almighty entertainment dollar, a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do...

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I dont think thats shady at all. You arent forcing anyone to give you money, just "subconsciously encouraging". If they didnt like the music I dont think they would tip you anything anyway.

3. dustdbass6

dustdbass6 Alembic User

Apr 24, 2007
    Livermore, California
    I always think it's a good idea to start the tip jar off, just so people really know what it's all about. You're move was not unethical at all, it was smart.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Man, that's better than what I usually do. Normally I just get really, really drunk and start throwing empty beer bottles at the audience screaming, "Papa needs some child support money you bunch of ungrateful prigs!"

Wish I had thought about something like your technique first.

5. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    That's an old trick here....usually someone puts 5 bucks worth of one dollars bills in there, wadded so they look like more :).
    Have noticed the "follow the leader" thing.....one person does it everyone else is like OH......we can do that? For some reason they like to tip on breaks here , guess they're shy.

Here's one more thing to try...... for my guitarists bday I gave him this 2 inch clip on light disk thing that activates to sound, looks like lightning bolts across the disk. He clipped it on the side of the tip jar for the heck of it one night with the duo and they ended up getting more tips!! Guess where that sucker gets to stay :D:D Am considering getting another one or two (they're cheap)..........

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    New??? :smug:

7. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    LOL...I guess it's NOT. But it was for me - better late than never!

8. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
  9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    It works even better if you can get an attractive woman to take the tip jar around the room.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

A woman came over, picked up our jar and took it from table to table. Over a hundred bucks!
    Hope she comes back!!

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    LMAO!!! Too funny! :D

11. Do what we did in my last band...pay her a percentage! You will be astounded at how much money you'll see.

12. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    People (especially at shows) are like sheep. They just need someone to lead the flock. That's why the crowd won't come up to the stage until that ONE person does it first. It's why the crowd won't dance until that ONE couple goes for it first.

You just steered the flock in the right direction.

Keep it up!

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    D'oh! Maybe I, lol, misunderstood what you said. You made it sound like she got a bunch of tips for you and ducked out with the jar under her arm! LOL Sorry if I got that wrong! :)