1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new to forum - question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allegra, May 11, 2006.

1. allegra

allegra

May 11, 2006
    hi ya'll,
    i am lucky enough to have a lovely ampeg portaflex from the early 60's. due to some changes, i need to sell it.

i need advice for how to price it? any ideas? i don't usually sell equipment, but this is too big for my tiny place....

not even sure where to start -- a music store? can they price things?

thanks for any info...
    A

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A music store should be able to give you a good idea on the street value. Many people look to eBay as a price guide. Prepal is another source people use to price their used gear. One thing to remember is that supply and demand is the main thing.

-Mike

3. 2-3 years ago those things were going really high (the "Standing in the Shadows" movie probably drove a lot of that). I don't know what the market is right now. Everything is cyclical and it seems like right now the hot items are the smaller, lighter, cabs and heads. You might want to hold on to that until there's another "vintage" boom. Then again, right now's a great time to buy one of these because they're selling alot cheaper than they were 2-3 years ago.