1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by egd3hr, Mar 26, 2020.

1. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    During this period of Social Distancing, I'm getting to do a lot of practicing and working on Bass stuff in general. I just got an HX Stomp and am in the "going down the rabbit hole" phase of exploring the possibilities.

Looking to talk to other players who are using one. I'm looking for good clean tone presets, and general favorites in effects (octave pedal, delays, reverb, etc.) that people are using. I going to be using mine for at home practice with headphones and as an all in one rig for gigs when we can get back to them someday. Thanks!

2. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Here is what my rig looks like. I use a Boss FS7 switch to toggle the snapshots. up and down. Playing live I have really only use 2 snapshots ( so far). The snapshot I use most has a nice clean sound in the 1st preset, the 2nd has a bit more grit and the 3d has an octave activated.
    The next snapshot down has a slightly aggressive sound in preset 1 and the 2nd and 3rd get progressively grittier.
    I recorded a couple tracks is a small studio and used a comp>amp>cab into a DI. Sounded great.

Attached Files:

ppiluk and BrentSimons like this.
  3. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    For overdrive sounds I’ve really enjoyed mixing and matching bass amps and guitar amps. The Cali bass plus the revv amp is pretty fantastic. The Cali bass 400 is my go to for clean tones

4. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Thanks, anyone using IR's? I bought a Celestion pack yesterday and they seem to work well so far.

5. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I honestly haven’t used any cab sims for my bass tones. They seem to roll off too much high end for my taste.

6. Mr Dad G

Mr Dad G

Aug 31, 2018
    On thing to remember on helix is that you don’t have to have a traditional signal chain. So you can use a pre-amp direct in to a speaker cab, for example. My go-to on helix is the Obsidian 7000 (Darkglass B7k) into a 3sigma Markbass 410HF IR. You can also put a volume pedal after the cab if you want to control volume without changing your tone. For adding other effects like distortion and wah, it can help to add a split crossover, and send some bass tone around the effect. It can help to keep ypur distortion tones from loosing all the bottom end

egd3hr and ppiluk like this.
  7. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Thanks, I'll try it out.

8. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Would appreciate seeing a block diagram for the setup you mention above from HX Edit. Thanks,

9. imdkoz

imdkoz

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
  10. Mr Dad G

Mr Dad G

Aug 31, 2018
    It's a pretty basic patch, Using a low/high cut at 40Hz/7kHz, a split at 500Hz to the distortion pedal (Teemah!), then to the Obsidian 7k, the IR, and a volume block connected to and expression pedal.

Here's the patch file if you want to just import. You'll need to either find a suitable IR or replace the IR with one of the Helix built in cabinets if you import this. It's a bit of a work in progress, but it should give you a good starting point

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.14.43 PM.png

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Stomp is great for bass ! Here’s my setup.
    I’m using some analog drive pedals into the stomp where I use Amp Sim usually the Ampeg SVT or SVT 4 or GK with some 3 party IR’s. The celestion IR are good as well as I really dig the Lancaster Audio ones and the ownhammer ones.
    I also love the 70’s chorus in the stomp and if I’m not using outboard drives the b7 model and the clawthorn drive are fantastic.

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Thanks! Will try it out.

13. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Thanks, the stomp has been a lot of fun so far. An improvement over my old trusty B3, and great for my limited guitar playing as well.

hbabels likes this.