1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie bass player needs advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crematia, Apr 21, 2006.

1. crematia

crematia

Apr 21, 2006
    Hello,
    new here since I'm actually a guitarist, but things seem to change :)
    Anyway, straight to business:
    well it finally happened, I got into a band.
    Only problemo is that I'm the freakin' bass player :D
    Now I would need some advice on basses and bass amps, since I really don't know jack about them. Here's a few I have in mind:
    Amps:
    Fender Rumble 100w
    Fender Rumble 100/210, 100w 2x10"
    Gallien Krueger Backline 115 II
    Behringer BXL1800A, 180w
    PEAVEY TNT115 S, 150w
    All I know that I wan't atleast 15" speaker on the amp. Where we play atm (actually it's recording studio) has this Behringer as bass amp, and I thought it sounded ok. But I need more POWER :)
    Basses:
    Yamaha RBX 375 BL
    OLP Tony Levin 5 String Sign. AN
    Warwick Rockbass Streamer LTD 5BK
    SPECTOR PERFORMER 5 DLX MBS
    ESP LTD B-155 STB
    Fender SQUIER Standard P-Bass Special
    Sorry about the loooong list, but I think you get the point about the price range I'm willing to spend.
    What I'm looking for in the bass is 5-strings, not too thick neck and easy to play. Alternatively I might buy a four stringer, but mainly looking for five stringer. I got a loaner bass at the moment and it's like a damn log with 4 strings attached to it :)
    So if you got any helpful info on what to avoid and what's good, please share :)
    Any information is greatly appreciated.
    PS. Sorry 'bout the smileys.
    Thanks,
    -P-

2. Welcome!

We're glad to have you here. Like most newbies to the board, you have a lot of questions -- and that's cool.

What I would suggest however is that you first do two things:

1) Check out the "Sticky" thread entitled "Newbie Links."
    There is a wealth of information in that thread and it will provide some excellent starting points for you.

2) Use the "Search" feature on Talkbass.
    There is very little that is new under the sun and much of the gear you asked about has been covered in detail previously.

This is not meant to discourage you from asking questions but it will keep you from waiting around for people to reply to your posts. Additionally, reviewing those resources will prepare you to ask more specific questions and really drill down to the information you need.

Welcome to Talkbass -- take care and enjoy!

3. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Welcome to a whole new world. :D

I expect you'll quickly discover that a lot of things are way different in the "bassment" -- and from looking at the equipment you listed, one of the first may be that you'll need a lot more power than you did as a guitarist just to get to the same starting point.

Not saying that nothing you've listed will work for you... just cautioning you so you won't be too shocked or disappointed if you find you need to bump the numbers upward.

IotaNet's suggestions are right on the mark. There is a wealth of information here, just waiting for you to read it! It's a tremendous resource.

Regarding bass necks, do you know what brand/model your loaner is? Different models of basses have different neck styles/profiles. If we know what you don't like, it'll help us narrow in on what you maybe will.

Cheers,
    'rick

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    you may want 15" AT LEAST.. but uh, i recommend tens. 15s get very boomy in small clubs and rooms, where as tens cut through real nice. 12s acheive a nice balance.

5. crematia

crematia

Apr 21, 2006
    Man, hard to even find this thread again, so much talk here :)
    Sorry for trying to take the easy way, pushing loads of questions to you and expect served table for me :). I surely tend to read as much as I can so that I have (much) more info before I make my decision what will I buy.
    The loaner I have now is a Yamaha BB400. It requires quite a lot of strenght because the neck is thicker than I've used to with guitars (duh :) ) and string action is way too high. No problem with slower tunes, but no way I'd be able to pull of something like Puppets with this monster :)
    I will go and test that Spector, read some good things about it, and allready tested the Yamaha 5-stringer, which was very easy to play due to the fact that string action was maybe even little too low, little buzzing here and there. Maybe my main concern is the B-string, will/can it sound good on a bass this price range ? I've heard that on the cheap 5-stringers B-string is pretty useless, sound different and is very sloppy. One would imagine that 35" scale would help for sloppyness though...
    Thank you for your info, and I'll keep looking :)
    About the amps, I think I'm looking to an amp that really is all around amp, suitable for, rock, metal and pop...Does one even exist :) My need with the current band is more towards rock and mellow tunes, but I'm more metal head, so amp that could do both would be marvellous.

6. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    When you're looking for an amp, check out the Ashdown MAG C210T. Two 10s and a horn, and 300w of power.

My son plays loud rock/goth/industrial through one, and he loves it. I've heard him, and he sounds great through that amp (no paternal bias here!).:bassist:

~John

7. I agree with instagata, I'm running a 15" and it can shake the whole house and be heard by the neighbors. (Which at times can be nice.) But, I'd suggest getting a pair of tens or a twelve. Ampeg runs nice sets. If you're not looking for that classic rock sound, don't get anything marked vintage. When Ampeg says vintage, they mean it. Go for the GK or the Behringer amps for what you've listed. Stay away from the Squier and the ESP LTD B-155 STB though. I've played the ESP B-155...bad sound...bad sound. Unless you like that sound, you're not going to be impressed with playing ability. Something that's cheap and gives good tone? Yamaha? Ibanez? Haven't played them, but from what I've heard from friends they play well.

8. crematia

crematia

Apr 21, 2006
    Thank you, I really appreciate your input :)
    Man, seems I'm really hooked on the looks of the Spector. Hopefully it will meet my "needs". Maybe I should consider spending little more money and get the Legend 5 or 4 instead (ofc I have to try them out first), they look just amazing. I just wish I knew more about the amps, but I will follow up on your suggestions and chekc out the 2x10" amps. I just read somewhere that you gotta have 15" speaker or it's worthless :)

9. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Hey,

Yeah, you'll make a good choice if you pick the Spector, how about trying an Ashdown amp (maybe a Mag 2x10 or 4x10)? I think that's what I'll get when I can afford to upgrade (soon I hope). Euphonic Audio are meant to be great, but quite pricey!

Good luck!

10. +1 on the Ashdown recommendations! I have a MAG 300 head with a 1x15 and a 2x10 cab and it's a great setup at low cost!

Also, the Ibanez BTB205 is a respectable (for the price) 5er with a slim neck and 35" scale - it could be worth adding it to your list of considerations...