1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Next step

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Godoshi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    You've probably have had a million of these posts but I guess I'll start with the beginning. Short story I promoise!

Had my holden parked outside my store on one of the main roads. Bass guitar in the boot along with the set of marshalls, some pedals and two guitars. One being a telecaster and the other being a warlock. Drunk driver crashed into my car. The telecaster has got new strings a new neck, the amps are in perfect working order the pedals have been replaced the warlock no damage (surprisingly since it was in a padded case) But my bass guitar, a fender squier which was in a hard case, the body and neck had split in half. (the case no real damage... go figure)

So now I find myself needing a new bass. And since i've been thinking about buying a new bass before, being forced to has given me less time to think about what to buy next. Now I know alot of people have complained about fender squiers over the years, but my one was surprisingly enough quite well built and with the removal of the most crappiest pickups I've ever seen in my life and some HB pups installed it turned out to be quite a stable piece of beauty. But as the guitar was my very first, it still wasn't good.

So anyway I do mainly rock music and some alternative. I'm now wondering what I should upgrade to, since I'm not wanting to go back to such entry level bass. I've got about 1200 to spend (Australian Dollars) and still not sure what to acquire. Any suggestions?

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    1200 AUS is around 1k USD, and with that, you can get quite a lot. If you liked your Squier you may like the 08 Fenders. I don't know if you can get deals over there though, they may not be as willing to negotiate. CIJ Fenders are also very nice, as are EBMM (a used one wouldn't be out of the question), Warwick, etc.

I'd keep my eyes peeled on the TB classifieds, lotsa nice deals from reputable sellers :)

3. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    Well i'm not sure if its the dealing thats the problem. Its the whole marketing thing that is taking over. Generally in my area you just have to know what you're buying and not get persuaded into buying something else.

but thanks, I'll definately look into those models, (just have to find places that stock em now and also see if they'll let me test them out too...)

4. YOU have never shopped in Australia

5. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    Well I've been looking around and stuff and done a bit of ringing up yet there isn't a great deal of fenders about. Well basscentre has a few of them but they are all in the 1500+ mark as for warwicks... I'll pass... their price tags, even for used are way beyond what I can afford.

though there was a warwick vampire 5 string there for special for like 1299 or something... but I don't think it will give me what I want in terms of sound and playability factor.

6. Godoshi,

Ebay will be your friend.

The best price i've found on American Jazz's is around 2100 from the bass centre.

But anytime i look to buy now its either american tb classifieds, or ebay.

You a five string player, i have a stingray i'll let go for around your price point.

7. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    Nah I'm a four stringer, thats why I said playability factor in there. I know its easier with 5 or 6 strings due to the range being increased along the fretboard, but I don't think I'm ready to give up the 4bangers just yet. but thanks.

Oooh I found me a G&L Tribute L-2000 for 1229... any thoughts on this before I give em a ring?

8. This is my experience. I was looking for G&L Tribute L2000 in Australia and all retailers have them for about $1200.

I checked TB sale forum and found used one from USA for $325. Plus $100 shipping with USPS. The bass arrived within a week (I still can't believe it) and I am in Darwin. It was used but in mint condition. Total I paid - 500 AUD.

So I suggest looking at TB sales and check if sellers are willing to ship to Australia. Some are and some are not. Overall, you will spend about tha half of what you would pay in Australia.

All the best.

9. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    Alright I'll scry the classifieds, might find me something better ^_^

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    So very true. I know prices are way jacked up there, but I wasn't sure exactly how much after the exchange rate.

But again, the TB classifieds will be your best friend :)

11. Oh yeah, and it's not just the exchange rate either - 5% duty and then 10% Goods and Services Tax. Then the store's margin...

12. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    store's margin is 12% roughly. Thats including the tax on the margin, without tax its about 10 - 11%. On a good note though, You walk into a store that has what you want, they do give up to 30% discount if you can haggle well, but thats only if you are buying a whole heap of things.

So far, nothing in the classifieds has really picked my eye. All beautiful though, I'll find something. As it turns out, i didn't need a bass straight away since my mate has a couple basses at his place. *don't know what they are yet* So I've got time to look around and get a feel for something I like. Just found out I may need a new amp head. tested the amps individually, fine, but the amp head with all of the gear in emits a crackle. :\

I found out theres alot of basses in america that you can't get in Australia, unless for a hefty price. Any australians out there hopefully brissy area that knows whats available and such? *for good value of course*

13. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Buy a couple used.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In that price range, you really should consider the MTD Kingston Heir.

I bought one with the intention of using it only as the bass I take on planes for interstate and international gigs. I was never comfortable when I put my beloved Stingray 5 at the mercy of airport baggage handlers. Amazingly, the MTD started finding its way on stage at ALL of my gigs, pushing aside a bass which I never thought I’d ever get sick of. Yep it's that good.

It has a humbucking pickup near the bridge for that gnarly bite, plus a single coil pickup near the neck for that warmer Fender-like sound, I'm able to make this bass sound like pretty much anything, not to mention the many sounds available by using a combination of both pickups……..this bass can do it all.

Even cheaper, look at the MTD Kingston Artist, but you'll lose the single coil neck pickup and the ability sound Fender-like.

MTD Kingston basses are so much better than their price would indicate. They’re a perfect example of why you should listen with your ears instead of your eyes! It might be worth noting these basses, and the MTD Z series, have become very popular abroad as the basis for some awesome hot-rodding experiments. Whack in some Nordstrand pickups, and maybe a Demeter or Aguilar preamp and you're still under $2k for an instrument that will rival basses ten times the price.

15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    +10 on that post - I have been playing my Heir 5 a lot...and I have some other decent basses that compete for playing time!

Dan K.

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    A little ot, but the Holden Ute, looks awesome. If I didn't have too many ties in the US, I'd come there just for that.

17. Godoshi

Godoshi

May 24, 2005
    Utes are awesome, but the tray is so flimsy, I'd rather shove the old trays they used to have on them.

Anyway in response to the MTD Kingston. As it may be a great bass and such, there is simply not enough places that have it in stock. Theres only one that I can see and even then I'm not exactly sure if they are still at that location anymore. However, i'll look around some more and stuff. I've decided to save up a bit more as well since I think I'm going to get my cousin a fender squier affinity P-bass package for christmas.

I've also been thinking as well, maybe I should just build my own bass? I found a place in australia that sells bodies and necks and all the active and passive stuff, so it could be completely customised to my liking. Any thoughts on this?

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    There's a fellow TB'er that's aussie, did some builds, thinking of his screename.................................

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Dagonne it!...... his name will come to me while i'm driving or something.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I bought mine from the store I work for. Yes we're definitely still in business, and we're still at the Parramatta Rd location :)