Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Week 16

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 24, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Whoa! How did all of us football guys forget a week 16 thread??

I did not get to see the game, but Pittsburgh rolled into Cleveland and did what good teams should have...lay a serious beatdown on a bad team. Just like New England, Pittsburgh is warming up for a playoff run. The Pitt defense is looking good.

BTW Seahawk fans....you should be very thankful Jim Caldwell pulled Manning in the first. Manning was lighting up the Seahawk secondary like a hot knife through butter. As good as the Seahawks looked today, again it was against some bench warmers.

-Mike

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, hopefully we'll see a rematch in the weeks to come where the colts won't half-ass it.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Props to the Steelers. That was a decisive beatdown.

Too bad for the Falcon and Charger fans, maybe postseason is in the cards for next year. The AFC seems like a murderers row. Whoever comes out of that division (hopefully the Colts :D ) will give the NFC champs a good game. Though I doubt the Seahawks will be the NFC champs. It's a pity, I wanted Alexander to meet the real Colts defence.

Merry Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate) football fans,
    Adam

4. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

who do you favor for the nfc?

sucks about the chargers, btw.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    For my money, I'd take the Redskins (though their postseason bid isn't a certain one yet) or the Panthers over anyone else in the division. I guess I'm pulling more for the Redskins simply because my guitar player is a fan of theirs.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm... Manning did what now? last I checked he was for 2 possesions... and during that time, they had one field goal.. and a second was blocked...

Red Zone D pwnd Manning something fierce.

Anyway, The niners are officially our of the Reggie Bush Sweepstakes.. actually I'm glad. Hicks is proving to be a dynamite on the run. He's not Bush.. but he'll do.

Next year, the niners need to pick up some strength in the O-line.. and something in the Secondary.

I'm liking Smith, but he's making rookie mistakes. Nolan's a rookie coach.. and frankly, there's no one helping Smith out. I'd really like to see the niners pick up a veteren, over-the-hill QB to be the clipbaord holder, and act as a mentor for Smith.

As for the NFC? I think the bears might have what it takes. We'll see tomorrow. Grossman played a great 2 quarters against a wasted Atlanta D. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get a solid look at Grossman until the playoffs. The next 2 weeks for Chicago hardly count.

I echo my picks from the Week 15 thread:

AFC: Colts v. New Pats
    NFC: Hawks v. Bears

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Dude, what world do you live in? ;)

You can keep Manning down for a few possesions but thats about it. I really hope Seattle and Indy meet in the 'Bowl. Indy will wipe the floor with them if this was as good as they can play against second, third, and fourth string guys. Man, I can't wait! :hyper:

Oh yes, lets see how the Colts were going into the game:

The Colts had nothing to really gain from this game...
    There was the death of J.D. weighing on them which also meant...
    The head coach was not there directing the team and...
    How many offensive and defensive players never even took the field to rest up and...
    How long did the first unit (which never was all there) really play?

Yea, Seattle looked real good. Not. :p

8. Man, that's the most smack I've ever heard talked after a loss. ;)

On a serious note, I'd be concerned if I were a Colts fan about entering the playoffs on a possible losing streak. I know they've got it all locked up, but you'd really like to see them keep the train rolling to some extent. I've seen the Steelers come out COLD in the playoffs enough to know what I'm talking about, just a little bit....

On a far more important note - what an awesome win for the Steelers today. Flat-out domination, gotta love it.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

See.....I knew it. This is all I am going to hear at work, and on sports radio all week.

The Seahawks beat SECOND STRINGERS....again. Did you happen to notice that Marvin Harrison was not even in the building? Did you happen to notice the lack of pressure that joke for a defensive line put on Jim Sorgi? Peyton Manning ate the Seahawk secondary up, without his BEST receiver. The Seahawks had all kinds of pressure on them to win. The Colts? On the field, don't get hurt. No, I am not a Colt's fan. :D

Cheez.....that GB picture you posted a few weeks ago is still hanging on the window in my office!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

-Mike

10. As a man of Wisconsin, I can say with confidence that the only reason GB lost was so they can be a-shooin' for the draft....

:bag: :rollno: :rollno:

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What? You don't honestly believe that, do you?

Reggie Bush isn't going to be the cure for what ails Green Bay. I have my doubts on what he will be able to do in the NFL regardless.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, and proud of it! :D j/k

Well, the Colts should finish up with a win against Arizona. That should help. Plus, considering who the Colts put on the field today, they were in the game until midway through the 4th. I'm happy with that. :)

Dude, the Steelers flat out put the smack down on the Browns! Steeler fans should definately be happy. The last 3 games the Steelers have just beat their opponents to death.

BTW, wasn't it nice to see the Bengals get a little spanking by *cough* Buffalo? ;)

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Einstein. Green Bay didn't play yet. 5 PM today.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

*The 'Detroit Lions' and 'winning' aren't 2 words that are used together too often lately.

We won't be putting them together this week either.

Smart money is on the Lions...losing.*

The above disclaimer can be run exclusively in the context of discussing Detroit Lions Football, the team, the games they play or have played, coaching staff, and the owners. Nothing is protected since the defense cannot protect a lead, and the offense cannot protect its pride.

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    STILL SUCK!!!

Sorry, perfect set up on that one.

Actually, my prediction to day is Bears by about 10

16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, i'd like to see that, as well. :cool:

...and what the eff is up with your avatar? i have a hard time reading your posts because i don't wanna look at it!

17. He has the skill of prophecy...he knows what's coming to them :D

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Sadly, probably true. I just read an article about how the guy punting for Green Bay today was bar tending 3 days ago. I've never seen a team hit by such an injury bug, ever. SIXTH starting running back today.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons my Fantasy Team is down 60 points this week!

Anyhoo, the Steelers looked great against the Browns! I'd have figured the Browns would've come out a little more fired up with the prospects of playing 'spoiler.' I was definitely worried this week...