NFL Week #3

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Elway looks like Einstein at this point. Wentz out Bigged Ben. DeMarco is the most passionate Titan on the field week in and week out. I sure hope he can stay healthy long enough to make the Pro Bowl. He deserves it at this point as far as I'm concerned. Of course I'm only slightly biased ;)

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't forget, Shazier got injured today. He did return to the game though.

-Mike

3. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Our new coach is going to have to have a talk to the players about not playing dirty and playing smart. Very disappointing because, as you said, this game was for the taking.

4. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    The fact that my Dolphins (week 3) had to go into OT to beat the lowly Browns is pathetic- a bad win to say the least. Now we travel to Cincinnati (week 5) to get our asses handed us before a national audience.

But I don't cry like Hootie does: "I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry" (song, Only Want to be With You
    ).

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That's kinda reminiscent of a Rex Ryan team, isn't it? Big highs/big lows.

Bipslapper likes this.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm not going to defend Seattle's strategy of cobbling up an offensive line every year, but there's also the fact that Wilson hangs onto the ball for a month at times. There are also times the line clearly doesn't know where he is, because he's scrambled off somewhere they didn't expect. If he was in the Patriots' system, the ball would be out so fast that this offensive line would look perfectly adequate. For a QB like Wilson, it's not, especially when he's not as fast as he thinks he is. He has to get used to the idea that he can't outrun everyone when he's got a bad wheel or two. It's actually going to be good for him, since it will get him used to the idea that he's mortal and has to get rid of the ball a little faster. When he was just firing the ball last year, the Seahawks were near unstoppable. When he runs all over the place, it's not a good sign.

Boykin was pretty impressive, with the exception of the pick he threw. Maybe the Niners are really just that bad. Or maybe Boykin isn't much of a step down. He seemed like he fit in just fine.

blastoff99 likes this.
  7. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hahaha, oh, the irony.

8. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Well, I only saw the last 1.5 quarters, but the team played hard, showed me some improvement, and I think Kessler could be a very competent QB.

People say he has a weak arm, but if they keep on with the scheme of short passes and YAC, he should do just fine. I like the use of Pryor in multiple roles, and think he would be much less effective as a full-time QB. If Gordon can keep out of trouble, they can be a really dangerous WR corps with Coleman as the slot guy.

Anyway, I wasn't unhappy with the game, wish they could have won, but, getting better is important.

D M C likes this.
  9. Funky Ghost

He returned. He'll always return for you Mike. He loves you, even if you don't love him back :D

The Steelers, though, whahapan'd ?!?

MJ5150 likes this.
  10. Funky Ghost

I watched the replays again last night. I have to say Marcus is a come back beast. He put them on the 1 in the last bit of the game but it was erased because Lewan got a little emotional. I agree with the flag. In the day it wasn't a big deal, now, though, you can't clean a pile like that.

11. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Regarding the Wentz idolatry, people seem to forget that the Eagles weren't a crap team last year. 7-9 with a couple of close losses.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm not sure. I suppose NFL teams have 'one of those days' now and then too. I certainly hope it was an aberration.
    My wife landed in Philly Sunday midway through the game, on her way to Delaware for work. Even though she is a Cowboys fan, I advised her not to let anyone know she has a husband from PA who is a Steelers fan.

-Mike

Funky Ghost and grrg63 like this.
  13. Funky Ghost

Oy!! What is it with us and the Cowboys fan ladies in our lives? :) Mine was sufficiently apologetic (with a smirk) about my team :D

14. Funky Ghost

Which is another way of saying he landed in the best place for him :) He's going to enjoy sticking it to those that let him drop, costing him millions.

grrg63 likes this.
  15. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wentz has been impressive, no doubt

Funky Ghost and grrg63 like this.
  16. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is there a really big drop off from #1 to #2 with the rookie pay scale in place? After a quick search, according to the interwebz, Wentz will only lose about $1.5 by dropping to #2.

17. Funky Ghost

I dunno about you but if I took a 1.2 million dollar pay cut that was predicated on another persons misinformed opinion I'd be ticked.

Maybe it's just me though.

To be honest, last year wasn't considered a "QB" year, so really teams were pretty much throwing darts. I am aware of that. I'm just taking it from a Wentz perspective, if you will.

Kawai-chang likes this.
  18. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Both Goff and Wentz were projected at #1 or #2. It was a toss up. How did either get screwed?

19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The caption for this picture, and the image on Cutler's face crack me up....

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2013%2F0930%2Fgrant_g_cutler_kh_800.jpg
    Jay Cutler is not guaranteed to get his job back when he returns from injury.

Picture/story credit: Fox won't guarantee Cutler gets QB job back

-Mike

GregC likes this.
  20. Funky Ghost

Paxton was ahead of both for awhile there It's easy to forget the lunacy before the draft because some folks haven't been in the limelight as much. I never said anyone was screwed. In the end they are all millionaires but a loss is a loss. Going #1 is a goal like a paycheck is a goal. It means something. I can absolutely see how Wentz will carry a chip after that. Can't you?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021