1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NHØP on Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by mrmxyzptlk, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    I know this is the Double Bass forum, but since the subject of my question is primarily known as a jazz upright bass virtuoso, I thought this might be the appropriate place to ask: I'm trying to locate all the recordings of the late Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen on electric bass. I know he didn't perform on this instrument very often, but so far I've found only three tracks, and I suspect that there must be more. The three I've found are:
    1. "Teenager," from Night Child by the Oscar Peterson Quartet
    2. "The Girl with the Purple Eyes," from More Than You Know by Dexter Gordon, arr. Palle Mikkelborg
    3. "Spain," from Jazz Gala Concert, Vol. 3 by the Peter Herbolzheimer All Star Big Band
    Anyone know of any others? Thanks in advance!

2. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    I just found three more tracks, all on the same album: "Wild Chick," "Mr. Clean," and "Green Witch," from Waitaminute by Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination & Brass. [EDIT: There are also four more from another Rhythm Combination & Brass album, Wide Open. This group has numerous albums, so I'll take a closer look at them; this might be fertile ground for electric bass performances by NHØP.]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Winoman and ColdEye like this.
  3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
  4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    That’s a great picture, looks like Daniel Humair behind him

5. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    Interesting photo! Thanks Michael. Now my curiosity is piqued about what bass he's playing! I can't quite read the logo. Does anyone here know? If not, I might re-post the photo in the Bass Guitar forum and ask there, if that's OK.

6. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Here's where I found it: ▶ Ørsted Pedersen, Niels-Henning - 1964-2003
    Tons more great photos on that site. It kinda looks like a Hofner logo and headstock to me, but it's hard to tell. Some similarities to the Hofner 500/4, but differences too. I'm sure the BG forum folks will be more helpful, please post it there.

The website says Alex Riel.

Winoman likes this.
  7. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Whoops, thanks for the correction

8. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I certainly wouldn't have known who it was without the caption!

Michael Karn likes this.
  9. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I was so sure too

10. Jazzy Matazzy

Jazzy Matazzy

Nov 24, 2018
    Looks like him here:

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe Hagstrom rather than Hofner?

12. Looks like a ”Hags” without trom :)
    A tromless Hags.

13. Hoyer, perhaps?

14. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    That's Charlies brother Joe Byrd on a fretless electric bass. Plays ok, but somehow I think NHOP would of been a bit more flamboyant :)

Jazzy Matazzy likes this.
  15. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.
    Hoyer for sure. They were German and seemed to specialize in copying American instruments. This photo is just a random one.

The one Niels is playing looks like a copy of my old '60s Gibson EB2, a bass I really did not like. Short scale, strings too close together and a monster pickup. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018