1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nirvana or Bob Dylan?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Nirvana puts a lot of soul & feeling in their music, and for the most part their lyrics aren't really relevant, they kinda just write stuff that sounds good and rhymes (when I was an alien...) that OCCASIONALLY requires deep thought, usually for just one line of their song.

Bob Dylan... is kind of the opposite. He writes things that generally mean a lot and are very relevant to the song, but I haven't been able to hear feeling as much as Pennyroyal Tea by Nirvana. I'm probably going to get flamed for saying that, but this is my opinion. Feel free to give some evidence to prove me wrong. Also, his songs aren't really catchy.

Please, this is not a "who's better" thread, just give your opinion. This is MY opinion, please go ahead and prove my wrong, I'd love to expand my taste. Thank you.

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    As I've gotten older. Neither.

3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    My impressions of each:
    Nirvana: huh wuh wah Nah, hebba jer der!
    Bob Dylan: Whe neh chee, wuh nuh, deee!

All kidding aside, I don't like either, and while bob Dylan probably had better lyrical content, they both sound like nails on a chalkboard.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Pfft

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    For me, Nirvana.... by a MILE!!!

6. In 40 years, Bob Dylan songs will still be relevant, discussed, and interpreted and recorded by artists of all genres. I think it's a safe prediction that the most common comment on Nirvana in 40 years will be: "Who?".

While I'm not a huge fan of the man's performance capability, voice, or instrumental ability, Dylan has written songs that are nothing short of masterpieces.

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Bob Dylan was #1 in the Folk scene (early 60's) and then went electric, country and turned out great albums. Unfortunately Kurt Cobain didn't live too long. I always loved those MTV unplugged shows. Their albums were great and live on. ...:)

8. If you grew up during Nirvana's heyday, then it's Nirvana for you. If you grew up during Dylan's heyday, then it's Dylan for you. Simple as that. There is no "better", just what you like. ;)

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I couldn't disagree more. Nirvana will always be looked at as one of the bands that "saved" rock from the excesses of hair metal, and Cobain's early demise will ensure the legend lives on.

10. Gross understatement. Here's why.

The good music always survives the test of time. Nirvana will be one of those bands that people my age will still crank the radio for in 20 years. By that time Dylan tunes will be re-packed for elevator muzak. In another 20 years, Smells Like Teen Spirit will suffer the same fate.

I guess I didn't really say anything...

11. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    Nirvannaanaanana

12. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    neither, usually I dont care for the lyrics.

13. So utterly different that I'm not sure how to compare them.

I never got the Dylan thing for the longest time (couldn't get past his voice) but then I took part in a tribute gig a few years ago and was really floored by the craftsmanship of the songwriting.

I was in high school when Nevermind came out, but honestly Nirvana had not much of a lasting impact on me.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's not just people your (my) age. The first time I played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for my 7-year-old daughter, she stopped dead in her tracks and subsequently started dancing around our family room. She was immeidately captivated, and has requested I play that record (yes, folks, spinning vinyl!) many times since. It doesn't matter the age. Good music will grab you by the throat and say, "Listen here, beyotch!"

That said, everyone reacts differently to music, and just because I like it doesn't mean anyone else has to. Thankfully, there's lots of music out there to listen to.

15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Really?

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Both changed music but both are difficult to listen to IMO. I appreciate their accomplishments but don't enjoy their work...........hope that makes sense.

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Ridiculous question. But to play the game, Dylan every time. Hands down. Game over.

Kurt Cobain is/was not fit to lace the boots of, for my money, the greatest songwriter/lyricist/wordsmith ever. Only Neil Fallon (Clutch) comes close IMO.

18. And there you have it.

For me, Dylan was an acquired taste, because the man writes sophisticated stuff that requires a mature perspective to be appreciated.

Nirvana just babbled. Great energy to the music, but when you ask yourself, "What the hell am I singing?" you kinda come up empty.

And I find Dylan quite good as a tunesmith as well. It's folk music, and it has its root in Americana, so comparing that to minimalist grunge is an exercise in futility.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Wrong forum, yo.

20. That's like asking me if I'd rather be punched in the face or kicked in the nuts. Just my personal opinion, but I can't stand either.