No more Mesa Subway + DI.....snif....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bright Midnight, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Just as my quest for THE preamp/DI was coming to its peak, and I discovered that I really really liked and wanted to buy the Mesa Subway + DI....it's not produced anymore, and the secondhand market seems empty.....sigh sigh sigh..... this was a couple of weeks ago, and I bought an Aguilar DB925 instead (no DI).

Now I can't stop lusting for the Mesa and although the DB925 is in fact a killer pedal in itself, I'm thinking of making the jump and selling it off while I patiently wait for a Subway+ pre to come along....

Am I being silly?

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the Mad Hatter Gold Supporting Member

"Waiting is, until fullness" Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

3. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Gold Supporting Member

May 14, 2020
    Milton Keynes, UK
    The I’m not sure how close it is to the Subway, but the Mesa Bass 400+ amp model in the Quad Cortex is very tasty…

4. It's madness really.... The DB925 is top notch, yet the Mesa is like Walhala to me.... Or could I just do both? Keep the DB and add the Mesa - that is, without the wife knowing about it! :drool: :)

Drredplate, DJ Bebop and rockdoc11 like this.
  5. Thanks, but I have a Headrush MX-5. Maybe there's an IR online that emulates the Subway....I'll have to check asap! You may have saved my day Derek....

6. Gorilla Monsoon

Gorilla Monsoon Magician...Can turn a car into a driveway... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2022
    The Swamp
    The Genzler gear is affiliated with Mesa. Also, the Subway+ comes up infrequently- there may be one on reverb - I saw one not long ago. There’s nothing wrong with the smaller subway. I just got one here last week. I guarantee that if you pick up something else to fill in, one will pop up right here within the month. I ordered an Oracle to be built, with a 3-4 week wait, and three days later, one showed up here for considerably less $ so I bought it…now I have two…

Lammchop93 and Bright Midnight like this.
  7. Are you saying the Genzler can sound like the Mesa?

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Keep your eyes open... especially, when you're driving.

9. Gorilla Monsoon

Aug 27, 2022
    The Swamp
    I dunno- it is my understanding the two are very closely affiliated- I picked up my subway pedal specifically for my passive jazz. I had been using a Sadowsky battery pedal- I wanted a plug in. The Mesa suited the bill and I got one for 60% of the retail. I would easily be happy with the Genzler, though, I just couldn’t pass up saving so much on the Mesa.

Bright Midnight likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wanting another pedal is never wrong. But those pop up used periodically here and on the Verb. Good luck.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You mean this guy? I found one used last year, they do pop up if you wait. FWIW, it’s not the greatest DI ever or anything. It’s good, but for the price I was very surprised that it’s a plastic box. It’s not as impressive as the Noble DI. It’s good, just nothing to go nuts about wanting.

Attached Files:

12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I have one and I assure you its not a plastic encasing.
    TB ftw, false info FTW!!!!!

13. It's plastic??

14. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Northern Virginia, USA - 13 mi
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    I have owned the Subway + but went back to the regular Subway DI. The Subway + seemed a little over the top for me. I wanted it for the Effects Loop option and the ability to Mute my signal. Too bad they did not offer a blend knob for the loop, so that was a killer, along with its enormous size. The small one fits perfectly in my Gator GigCase :)
    004292FC-A5DF-40D3-98D7-7734B7A28F9A.jpeg

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    See post #12
    Not it’s not plastic
    Welcome to TB, where false info is tossed around all over the place

16. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
  17. Gorilla Monsoon

Aug 27, 2022
    The Swamp
    I liked the relative simplicity, but the real feature that reeled me in was the HPF built in. Just got mine Tuesday, been working on a bannister- if anyone out there has ever installed a hand rail on a wavy wall, you understand the struggle-haven’t even had a chance to use it…Tonite!…

18. fishdude101101

fishdude101101

Oct 15, 2020
    If the genzler were 4 band it would be a better substitute but I'm sure its great.

Little subway is good but no sweepable mids for me, is a downside.

Bright Midnight likes this.
  19. fishdude101101

fishdude101101

Oct 15, 2020
  20. fishdude101101

fishdude101101

Oct 15, 2020
    Just snagged a demo from sweetwater.