No Sound!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Buh_Sheeky, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Alright, so I plug in my bass, and when I try to play, hardly any sound comes out! I don't know whether if it's a pickup or string problem... :bawl: I have to play later you think somethings wrong with my pickups or are my strings so dead, they can't even produce hardly any sound? Did I mention that I never changed my strings in over a year...shame on me... :bag: Oh's a Rogue :oops:
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try a different cable. Then try a different bass (or guitar, or anything for that matter). If you swap those and the problem persists then you've probably got an amp problem. Oh. Did you try a different wall plug on a different fuse/circuit breaker? Try changing things to isolate the problem.
  3. The amp works fine, so do the cables...I've tried another bass on there and it's in worse shape than mine, at least it was...mine apparently doesn't work now! I've narrowed it to stringas or pickups, there's sound, but on a 60w amp I have to turn it 3/4ths of the way to get some semblence of a sound. :bawl:
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Is it an active bass? Have you checked the battery? Bad jack? Wiring? Pot(s)? IMO I think it unlikely that strings or pickups are the problem.
  5. not an active bass, shoud I remover the covering on the pickups? Wiring? I also plugged it through a guitar amp a few times, could that have anything to do with it?

I've tried to remove the cover in the back, I tore a screw :rollno: I can't get the back open :(
  6. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Sounds like a broken jack or a loose wire to me... But don't listen to me, I know nothing.
  7. I just ran it through a guitar amp I have on-hand, it sounds ok...but it is a guitar amp... :meh:
  8. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I think you should seek professional help (No, not that kind.) because diagnosing this on the internet is going to be hard and especially if the people you're asking for help don't know any more than I do. Take the bass and amp to the store where you do business and let them help you. That's the best advice I can offer.
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Change your strings sicko!!!
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It ain't the strings. Probably the input jack on the amp. I leave my strings on for at least 3 years.
  11. But why is the other bass working? But during my lesson today, the bass worked okay, but I noticed it had a considerably lower output than the other basses that were plugged in. I will get it checked at the store, I guess, but I got a lot of things to :scowl: