1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nobody is interested in a genre

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Quorthon, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Quorthon

Quorthon

Feb 22, 2016
    What to do, when you have zero musician in your area, who are interested in playing the same genre as you?
    Should you wait, try to be a one man band or drop you preferences and start playing what is trendy right now?

2. Join an established cover band. Make some dough, gain some experience. Write your own songs in the meantime. Record them. Then find musicians to play them with you.

G'luck!

Aberdumbie likes this.
  3. Quorthon

Quorthon

Feb 22, 2016
    Done all of the above :) not helping. Everyone just like to play 'cores. And I am stuck with tons of recorded material.

4. what is your preferred genre?

5. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    If by 'cores, you mean what I think you mean, then I know what you mean. :cigar:

But yeah out of curiosity, what style/genre?

6. Quorthon

Quorthon

Feb 22, 2016
    Old-school thrash or death metal

Atshen likes this.
  7. Quorthon

Quorthon

Feb 22, 2016
    Here it's mostly dropped F 0-0-0-0 -1 deathcore :)

8. You go to many shows? If not, you should. The best place to find thrash and death metal fans are at thrash and death metal concerts, and for whatever reason it always seems that the majority of us play something.

If that still doesn't work, you could always try an online collaboration.

9. Quorthon

Quorthon

Feb 22, 2016
    I attend all the shows.

Maybe an online thing will work out.

10. Where are you located?

Have you tried posting an ad on Craigslist and the like? Most music stores have a board for "musicians wanted" ads. Have you looked at these? Maybe put your own ad in all the music stores near you?

11. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    just a short commentary....supposedly about the bassist being "recruited" for another band...but also works here :bassist:

12. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    NJ
    That's what I figured lol.

Shredder beat me to the punch with the online suggestion.

13. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Try being a jazz guy. The only way I'm playing is either for credit at the university or somehow getting into the very tight-knit club of jazz elite in town. I mostly have to practice solo. That's where I get my dose of jazz.

Meetup.com is good too. Start a club for metalheads, hangout every week. Drink, discuss, destroy.

Metal.

14. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Don't define yourself by genre. Instead of a hypothetical ad like "looking for old-school thrash and death metal musicians to perform my original songs with strict stylistic authenticity" (which comes across as kind of alienating) just simply say "looking for musicians to play my original songs; some of my influences are X, Y, and Z."

If somebody shows up on time and helps your songs sound good, who cares what their "label" is? Does it really matter whether someone defines themselves as a "grindcore drummer" or "punk-ska guitarist" or "ambient stoner trombonist" so long as they are easy to collaborate with, no drama, and know how to play their parts accurately, with good rhythm and tone?

If you are having trouble finding musicians to bring your "tons of recorded material" to life as a gigging band, maybe you need to pay more? What are you currently offering per gig? You'd be amazed how quickly I am willing to reinvent myself as a "retro math-core downtempo prog bassist" if the money is good. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Quorthon, 47th Street and Atshen like this.
  15. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Lowselfesteemcore is the only genre worth playing

hrodbert696 and 47th Street like this.
  16. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    i play in a 0-0-0-0-1 deathcore band because its infinity more fun to be involved in than the death metal music i write and listen to.

if no-one seems interested on the surface, join any local "extreme" metal band and see if the members are keen to make side projects. you'll find people often enjoy more than one genre of music.

Hell, there's a local band i my home town that play Born Of Osiris style deathcore but on the side the play ambient, suicidal depressive black metal.

Atshen likes this.
  17. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I lost track of all the music genres there are these days and I am not big on web based searches. But gigging, even with groups that aren't your preferred genre opens the door to meeting a whole range of musicians.

Atshen likes this.